Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL Extension with CAT5

This is a discussion on ADSL Extension with CAT5 within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, After about two months of phone calls to Sky and 4 Openreach visits I now have a pretty ...

paulheywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Binley, Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ADSL Extension with CAT5

Hi there,

After about two months of phone calls to Sky and 4 Openreach visits I now have a pretty stable 3M link.

What I realised last night is that Openreach have left me with the inability to move the router back to it's original location (because they've fitted the v1.0 faceplate) so my ADSL is limited to that faceplate.

It's impractical to have the router plugged directly into that due to the lack of a power socket so what I'm proposing to do is run a < 5M CAT5 cable with an RJ11 on each end and site the Router where I want it.

Does anyone think that would give me additional problems ?

Is there a better option, I could buy a modded face plate and route the ADSL down the same phone extension that is still wired into the back of the v1.0 faceplate to an RJ11 and put the router near the phone - but this seemed worse as this looks like standard telephone cable that I can't replace.

Thanks for your time,

Paul.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: ADSL Extension with CAT5

You will have no problem if you are only extending the ADSL cable to 5m. You can buy a good quality cable that length, this one is a bit longer - Belkin Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable RJ11M-M 7.6M: Belkin: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

paulheywood (23-02-11)

paulheywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Binley, Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks isitme - because I need to go through a wall I'm going to need to do the cutting/crimping myself with whatever cable B&Q have to offer. I might even wire it into a RJ11 socket and connect the Router to this new socket with the original Sky supplied grey wire.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This kit is designed to do what you want:- http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTNTE2000EX10M.html

If you wanted to you can replace the BT ADSL faceplate with the 6 way version, then you can hard wire off the back with the above kit.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.