Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hidden Master socket?

This is a discussion on Hidden Master socket? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, My flat is a house that has been converted (we have the top floor). I moved into my ...

reecicles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hidden Master socket?

Hey guys,

My flat is a house that has been converted (we have the top floor).

I moved into my new flat and plugged my router into my visible phone socket (presuming it was the master).

After surfing through this forum i found that behind the master socket, there should be a little yellow "thing"(lol). On mine there isn't.

So i went looking through my flat for my master socket, and at the bottom of my stairs i found a plastic square with 2 screws in it.

I took it off to find this (pic attached).

my questinos are:

Is this my master socket?
      This was covered for a reason, what would it be?
      The wires are covered, why?
      Could this be the "splitter" between the two flats?(top floor and bottom floor)
      if i was to buy the right equipment to turn this into a master socket, would my line attenuation decrease?
      If i was to turn this into a master socket, would it effect the people living below me?

Hope you guys can help,

And if i have this completely wrong and these wires are nothing to do with sockets, then sorry

thanks,

Reece

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Hidden Master socket?

That looks like a joint where another socket could be fitted, possible the Master socket, and for some reason, none has been fitted. Maybe to cut costs. If the flats have been completely rewired it is possible they have been fitted with external NTEs (XNTE). These will be somewhere on the outside wall or in a communal cupboard. With this type of installation you don't get a 'real' master socket with a capacitor etc. only standard extensions. You should check if you have one of these.

I don't see any reason why you cannot fit an extra socket if it is going to be convenient for you. I doubt is it is in any way connected with downstairs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply.

This socket is about a metre away from the front door, so i'm hoping that it's the master.

If it is the master do i need to buy a special "master socket" to fit?

We don't have anything communal so i'm guessing it is the master socket.

If i fit it will it help with anything such as speeds, line attenuation or snr? or would it just be convenience?

Also, this is found directly next to a plug, would this effect it's performance?

Thanks again,

Reece

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

One set of wires will be from BT, the other set will go to your extension(or master in this case!). Is the other socket you have an NTE5? If it is then you can swap that to this location, fit one pair to A & B and the other to 5 & 2(will also need 3), then fit a secondary socket where the master used to be & fit a filtered faceplate to the new location. The fact it is next to a mains socket will make zero difference.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey RUNITDIRECT,

I'm not completely educated on wiring, so please bear with me.

I'm not too sure what an NTE5 is, but the socket on my "extension"(or in this case my master) has a removable faceplate with a test socket underneath(but i don't see a yellow capacitor).

I'm guessing the "A & B" is the 2 screws not behind the faceplate, but behind the socket itself?
      if so, which coloured pair do i connect to these?

Which colours do i connect to 5 & 2 & 3?

Also, will this help my speed or line attenuation in anyway, or is it just changing the location of my master socket?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this department,

Thanks for your help,

Reece
      Last edited by reecicles; 14-02-11 at 02:28 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

(but i don't see a yellow capacitor)
      You wont on an NTE5, only on the older type with no test socket. You could move this to the other location and it may give you an increase, but there is no guarantee. You could go to a lot of trouble and be no better off, especially if you only have one socket connected at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A & B on the rear of the main faceplate. Whatever goes to A & B (Blue pair in your picture by the looks)where it is now will be the same at the other location as the wires are simply joined with gel crimps. Then the other set goes to 2 & 5 but you will also need an extra wire to go to 3. As above, it may or may not make a difference, only way to find out is to try it!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.