Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help with wiring the adsl nte2000 and the master socket

This is a discussion on help with wiring the adsl nte2000 and the master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi i have read that many threads and all confuse me as the colours of my wires are different in ...

kezybabes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

help with wiring the adsl nte2000 and the master socket

hi i have read that many threads and all confuse me as the colours of my wires are different
      in the back of my master socket there is A n B and in there are blue and white and white n blue wires
      on my old face plate i had the green n white n white n green going into 2 and 5 now on the instructions that came with my adsl nte2000 faceplate it says connect blue n white to connector number 2
      orange and white to to number 3
      and white with blue to numbre 5
      but my blue ones are in the back of the master socket
      the colours i have left are
      green n white
      white n green
      orange and white
      white and orange
      so which do i use

i have 2 extensions in my home but i think the 1 upstairs is no onger used due to wire being cut and i use the other for my phone
      i have had problems for last few weeks with internet keep goin off n on and crackle noise on my fone line
      i plug my phone line n braodband into my test socket and after a while i have had the internet on for over an hour and the noise doesnt seem to there or very faint
      also do i have to strip the cover off these wires to make the connection good as im pushinng the wires down with a credit card
      thankyou for ur help kerry

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: help with wiring the adsl nte2000 and the master socket

In real terms it doesn't matter which wires are connected to which points, so long as they are connected to the correct number at the other end. However, when people connect the colours in a non-standard manner, such as now, it confuses others.

I would suggest that you temporarily use only the test socket for your phone & router to see if this cause of your disconnections is in your home or something that BTO can fix.

If you are disconnecting the ring wire, then it is the connector number that you need to be concerned with. The link below has some nice photos to help you:

I've heard removing the ring wire can improve my connection, how do I do this?

As for connecting the wires, they use a form of technology called 'IDC' or Insulation Displacement Connector. In simple terms the brass connector cuts through the insulation to make a clean contact with the metal wire it was protecting.

Because less metal is exposed, the corrosion is reduced (all metals oxidise when exposed to air) and the connection remains good for longer. Leaving the insulation in place makes it easier to pack more wires closer together as well as the insulation is still separating the ends.

So in a nutshell, don't strip the insulation off the telephone wire. If possible use an IDC tool rather than a credit card, but anything that can safely & securely push the wire into the connector, without damaging it, will do.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

kezybabes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thankyou very much all is on and fone line seems alot quieter not and my noise margin has gone up hitting 8 every now n then n my speed has increase to 7998
      im gonna leave as it is now and just see if the internet stops on
      kerry

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

No problem. Leave it overnight to settle & to give yourself a little break.

Then tomorrow post your router stats to see if all is well.

How to get your router statistics

Of particular interest would be any CRC errors, as well as the attenuation, noise margins and connection time.

If this has resolve your problems, then it might be worth looking at changing your faceplate in the longer term to a filtered plate. There are a few posts in this forum on this topic.

Also look to rewire your telephone extension lead with a plug, to fit into the filtered socket, if you need the extension.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.