Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cabling new SKY + and phone line installation

This is a discussion on Cabling new SKY + and phone line installation within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am having Sky+ and BB with the Sky Line Rental. Currenlt my house is being renovated and so ...

chris_smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky+ BB & Line rental
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cabling new SKY + and phone line installation

Hi

I am having Sky+ and BB with the Sky Line Rental. Currenlt my house is being renovated and so internal cabling is not an issue all the cable runs are exposed and easily accessable.

At the moment we will have SKY upstairs whilst we work on the rooms downstairs.

The Phone line is in the hall downstairs.

Firstly what cabling would need to be put in by the engineer (we already have freeview wired in)?

Secondly would the engineer be able to leave extra cable so that I can run it downstairs when we are ready to move the sky box?

Finally, Do we have to call sky when moving a box as to do this I would have to disconnect it from the phone line?

Regards

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Cabling new SKY + and phone line installation

Didn't you post this yesterday? I thought someone else might have already answered by now. Anyway, here's my attempt...

Quote Originally Posted by chris_smith View Post
      I am having Sky+ and BB with the Sky Line Rental. Currenlt my house is being renovated and so internal cabling is not an issue all the cable runs are exposed and easily accessable.

At the moment we will have SKY upstairs whilst we work on the rooms downstairs.

The Phone line is in the hall downstairs.
      Ideally you'll want the router located here so that you get the best BB speed. If you don't already have an extension, then consider getting a Wireless phone. The modern ones are quite good.

A post was made elsewhere on this forum regarding a wireless sender for the telephone line for a Sky STB. Apparently it works quite well. There are a few different ones available, the link above is to just one version.

Firstly what cabling would need to be put in by the engineer (we already have freeview wired in)?
      Unless you mean FreeSat, then you'll need a dish & satellite cables putting in. The Sky Engineer will do this.

Secondly would the engineer be able to leave extra cable so that I can run it downstairs when we are ready to move the sky box?
      Ask him. He might be able to offer you something, but I suspect that you'll have to pay a little extra. Alternatively, would you be getting Multi-room at a later date? If this is the case, then you could just have them come around on a 2nd trip & install the cable downstairs as part of the work.

The alternative is a trip to somewhere like Maplin, purchase the connectors & cable and fit it yourself. You'll need a suitable drill to get through your wall from outside, other than that it is relatively easy if you can reach the dish with a ladder & help.

Finally, Do we have to call sky when moving a box as to do this I would have to disconnect it from the phone line?
      No.

Occasionally Sky sends a message to the box asking it to 'Phone Home'. This is a free call and is intended to ensure that the box remains in the UK. Should you have multi-room, then both STBs would call in and have to be on the same line. Otherwise BSkyB fine you. This is to avoid people paying an extra 10 to have the box installed at a friend's house.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Consider running CAT5e to all rooms where you are likely to need any computer or AV equipment. You can then patch phone lines over this easily using our BT to RJ45 Patch Kits. You can also patch HDMI etc over CAT5e. Some may say install CAT6 but TBH in the avergae home there is still no need for this. If you are running coax for the sat then it used to be RG59 cable.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

chris_smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky+ BB & Line rental
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Thank you for your responses. Very helpfull.

Just as a note, I asked about the extra cable and he was happy to leave me extra without any additional charge.

Kind regards