Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

little help please guys about the master soket etc..

This is a discussion on little help please guys about the master soket etc.. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all!!! rang sky on the 22nd to order unlimited and its going to be active on the 1st feburay ...

ianparrynw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberconwy
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

little help please guys about the master soket etc..

hi all!!!

rang sky on the 22nd to order unlimited and its going to be active on the 1st feburay quite quick!!

I have a master soket in my bedroom then about a foot away throught a wall theres a extension, i have took the ring wire out of the master soket but on the extension one it looks different inside diff colour wires. do i just cut number 3 again for ring wire?

2. would a microfilter with phone be ok into the master soket for best speeds when the dlm is running and onwards ill stop using the extension one..

i also live 0.32 klms from my exchance but the front of house is on a main road but cabling comes in back. how fast do you think i can achive?

any other tips guys thankss

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: little help please guys about the master soket etc..

Certainly you could just leave the master socket in use, personally I would plug the filter into the master socket and plug the extension into that filter.

The router will need to plug into the filter plugged into the master socket in that configuration.

I realise that BT, or yourself, may have wired the extension into the mater socket so this might not be practical. In this case, once DLM has settled, then you will need a filter in both sockets. The router should still be plugged into the master socket for the best results though.

As for the d/l speed, my guess is that you should expect speeds in excess of 15Mbps if the line is of good quality and travels relatively directly to your home.

Please be aware that initially when you are connected the speed is likely to be around 4Mbps or less. Within a few days this speed will increase as the process takes over.

It is important to leave your router on 24/7 during the DLM process. Temporary power cuts are fine, but on the whole, leave it running.

Once you've got a signal, post your router stats up here if you require further help.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Is a filter the white box that plugs into soket then u plug router and foneinto that..

I dont have a clue how its wired. I think the extension is wired into master tho just has wires from 2 and 5 inside it.

Shall i put a asdl filter on the extension and on master for when dlm kivks in or would i get better speeds if i just plugged router direct into soket?
      Thanks

Thanks

Another thing my master socket looks old older then nte5 will this reduce speed..

In short if i put the asdl phone n router filter/spliter on both the main and extention and put my router in the master one would that be enuff. Ta

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Thanks

Have you ordered Broadband and LIne rental from Sky. If you have might be worth calling sky and requesting a visit by BTO. If they visit they will fit an NTE5 for you. The extension will be disconnected but you can install one yourself once everything is up an running

Thanks

No line rental from bt,,

the master socket has a test socket so it cant be that old?
      Would puting a adsl filter on master socket and exten. And cutting the ring wires do the same job as a faceplate then?
      Would it make a difference which i plugged the fone into then and u need to plug the router into a filter then into master socket dont u not just router to master socket.

Thankss alll

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The very best thing you can do to get your best connection is to fit a filtered faceplate to the master (if it is not an NTE5 then buy one from ebay and swap it).

You should then run the router directly from the filtered side of the faceplate.

Running the router on the end of an extension is one of the main causes of slow and unstable connections and should be avoided at all costs. It would be much better to run the router from the filtered faceplate and then run in an ethernet to the PC from it.

Thanks

ypu do need to connect a filter to master socker before router unless you have a pre-filtered faceplate like Smithy advised. If you master socket does have a test socket behind it then it is an NTE5 as the old style master sockets never had test port. If you are going to use the router from master socket why not buy a oair of cheap cordless phones so you don't need to have an extension at all. Your set up could then be. Master Socket- ADSL Filter- With a phone and router connected to filter. The second cordless phone could then be put in the other room where extension is. When you have a cordless phone set up only one has to be connected to the master socket, the others can be spread round the house they just need to be connected to an electric socket for charging purposes. This will give you the best connection possible as you will have no internal wiring.

Adding a pre filtered faceplate like smithy said is also a good idea.

Thanks

1 cordless phone to a socket and the secondd could go in the other room where extension currently is as you wouldn't then need this. (didn't word it perfectly above!!!)

Thanks

Ok guys if i dissconect the extention that best speed poss. Which wires do i pull out of what now i have a wire 2 and 5 in master and extetion its only about a foot from master tho wouldnt fort it would make much diff. I wont need a new faceplate will i if i dissconnect extenion. And then i put a adsl filter on master with phone plugged in that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast