Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

little help please guys about the master soket etc..

This is a discussion on little help please guys about the master soket etc.. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you are going to remove all extensions and just leave the one master socket then you would not need ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: little help please guys about the master soket etc..

If you are going to remove all extensions and just leave the one master socket then you would not need to worry about a filtered faceplate as just using a standard ADSL filter will achieve the same thing.

If you have a split face master socket with the TEST socket beneath then all you need to do is to remove any wires connected to the removable faceplate part, just coil them up inside so if need be you can then connect the extension at a later date.

If you have the old style master socket where the whole face comes off in one go you need to leave the main BT cables connected to 2 & 5 and just remove the ones that run to the extension socket..

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If your extension wiring is so short it may make no difference, I would leave it as it is until you get your connection up and running. The main problem caused by extensions(apart from the ring wire) is that they can act as an aerial picking up interference which causes problems with the ADSL connection. Just remember to put a filter into any socket that is in use. For the best result this should be the first thing plugged into the socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Just a small, but very important point, you stated that your line rental is with BT, will this still be the case once you get Sky Broadband?

If it is, then you won't be getting Sky Unlimited. Instead you'll be getting Sky Connect. If this is the case, then browse this forum and you will see that it is not a good product. The maximum speed, for example, will be limited to 8Mbps at non-peak times.

Also you've asked what the filter looks like, whilst the others have gone of explaining what to do.

Here is a link to some that are for sale. Don't purchase them as Sky send two with the router. Please notice that the two sockets are different to each other. One is the same as your normal telephone socket, the other is smaller.

On the same link are some sockets with a different faceplate. These are not the ones to get if your master is an NTE5 socket. See here instead.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Scubbie can you not have sky unlimited or everyday lite if you pay your line rental to BT. I was under the impression that as long as the exchnage was sky unbundled then customers could have unlimited/everyday lite even if the line rental was with bt. In the same way that people can choose to keep their BT line rental but have their o/c's with Sky.

ianparrynw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberconwy
      Thanks

Yeh im on bt landline and have sky unlimited on the way deffo. Sky have unbundeld my exchange.

I dont have a split faceplate but it has a bottom half that cums off with a test socket and bt openreach on the top bit.

I dnt no wether to remove the extention or keep it and use the filters on each socket its about 2 to 4 feet apart. I have removed ring wire on both

Thanks

I though you could get unlimited/lite even if paying bt the line rental. Really got me confused that. Started to really question myself as scubbie knows her stuff

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I can confirm that you dont have to have Sky line rental to get Sky LLU, in fact I would advise you don't and keep your line with the company that actually know how to maintain and repair it if required BT.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Smithy99 For This Useful Post:

nige1983 (24-01-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nige1983 View Post
      I though you could get unlimited/lite even if paying bt the line rental. Really got me confused that. Started to really question myself as scubbie knows her stuff
      I don't always know my stuff, hopefully User05 or someone else will be able to answer better.

Maybe you are right Nige, perhaps you can get Unlimited if the exchange is unbundled, even it you are paying BT for the line rental.

To be honest though, transferring to Sky for the line rental is a lot cheaper than BT. You also don't get the privilege of calling BT India every time you have a problem on your phone.

For the record, I have worked abroad & understand the mentality of BT India. Unfortunately they just have no idea how things are done in the UK beyond what their bosses teach them. I've had endless arguments with them in the past, to the extent that they broke the law without any remorse.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

nige1983 (24-01-11)

ianparrynw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberconwy
      Thanks

Yeah i didnt no there was llu in my area till i checked ha so do u fink i should remove extention or just wait and see and add filters to exten and master could remove extention if it dont go up amd ring sky to do do it i guess increase the speed i mean

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie and Smithy. Just checked myself and you can get it as long as the exchnage is unbundled.

Regarding changing the line rental I agree with you scubbie. Its cheaper than BT on a monthly basis and you also have the convenience of one bill for phone, bb and TV. As well as this if there are any problems Sky CST have a lot more tools available to them if the line and bb are registered with them and theirs the potential for them to be an SVBN customer. I hear wht you're saying Smithey about being with BT on the repair bit as it's their engineers who go out if their is a line fault but it's hear nor there as it's the same engineer eirther way and I do find Sky customer service/support teams a lot better than "BT India" and in most cases (from my experience and dependent on which advisor/team you speak to) sky will drive that extra mile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast