Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No NTE5 or master

This is a discussion on No NTE5 or master within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just moved into a property, and the wiring is old, in a mess, and - most importantly - there ...

Sebby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Potters Bar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

No NTE5 or master

I've just moved into a property, and the wiring is old, in a mess, and - most importantly - there is no master socket. I'm unable to order Sky Talk at this time as the database is still showing an active line, but once this updates, I'll be going with Sky for line rental as well. Of course, I haven't had any issues because I'm not using the line, but I'd love to get it modernised (and have the ability to add extensions myself).

The cable going to the property is underground, and terminates at a 1970s BT18.

I can't really see exactly where it then enters the property, but I suspect it goes to the General Post Office BT30 (or similar) and then to a Telecom branded socket.

There are several other sockets in the house, but who knows where these come from. I haven't been able to find a master socket, even the old type. I've taken the front place off all sockets, and none have a yellow capacitor.

I want to try and get an NTE5 installed FOC. Do I need to wait until the line is active, then get onto Sky (who will in turn get Openreach out)? Or should I contact BT now and see if I can get them out? I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is.

Many thanks in advance.
      Last edited by Sebby; 12-01-11 at 12:21 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: No NTE5 or master

I've had a chance to look into this in a bit more detail. The is how the current setup exists.

The phone line comes out of the ground into a BT66B.

There is one cable coming out of it and going up the wall that is physically cut off after about a metre (perhaps was a second line at one point, but now obsolete). The other cable runs along the brick work, by my front door, into a BT18.

From the BT18, one cable goes into my house (the light coloured cable) and another cable (the black one) goes into the neighbour's property, it would seem. I suspect the line coming out of the ground at my property serves both of us, and is split at the BT18.

Immediately inside my property, where the line comes into the house, there is an unbranded socket, which is clearly a new addition.

The cable then goes out of this socket, under the stairs and into the under-stairs cupboard, into a BT30.

There are 2 sockets connected directly to the BT30: one is in the under-stairs cupboard (a Telecom branded socket) and the other is in the next room. Other extensions in the house then feed from this socket.

So it all makes sense now, but is a bit of a mess (and is old). I suspect that the socket by the front door has been added by slicing the original cable running from the BT18 to the BT30!

I'm thinking I should get rid of the socket by the front door (useless to me anyway), and ask BT to run a new cable from the BT18 to the under-stairs cupboard, where they can fit an NTE5. Am I right in thinking that the BT30 is not required anyway now?

Many thanks in advance.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Looks to me the new white one is just an extension as it has no components inside.

I agree looks a right mess.

I think if that was me and the internal cable is going into that new white box I would buy a NTE and replace that one and start afresh from there.
      The only thing is I am not sure what is in all the other boxes before that white one and who owns the white one?

You need to find out where the BT line ends and your responcibilty starts.

EDIT:

Looks like BT responcibilty would end at the BT66B but I am not sure.

Here is someone with a similar setup:

The BT demarcation point is always more difficult in your circumstances so it's much better to get a BT engineer to change your configuration to a single line with the master socket as that point.
      BT favour that approach as well. A major benefit from your viewpoint is that you can isolate all your internal wiring when dealing with an incident
      http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?;topic=8404.0
      Last edited by BritBrat; 12-01-11 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

I should have mentioned - I've opened every socket in the house and none of them seem to have any master components.

If we assume the BT66B and BT18 (unless I can get BT to change this for something a bit more modern and nicer looking) have to stay, is the best course of action to get them to run a new cable from the BT18 into an NTE5 (and I'll worry about any extensions from there myself)?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, I think get BT to do it but it may cost you.

Thanks

If it does cost me, so be it. But I've just moved in and it's a bit of a mess. Plus, how could I possible install any new extensions myself?

Exchange:
      Thanks

At the end of the day if BT do it you will know it is correct and you will end up with one cable going to an NTE master socket, then from there you can run cables to extensions you may require.

If you are going to pay for it to be done I would get the NTE fitted to where you want it and not just where the new white box is.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Although very easy to DIY as you think the cable serves another property i would not touch anything, contact your CP.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BritBrat View Post
      At the end of the day if BT do it you will know it is correct
      Now that did make me chuckle.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

BritBrat (12-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Although very easy to DIY as you think the cable serves another property i would not touch anything, contact your CP.
      I've signed up to Sky Talk (for line rental as well). Do I need to contact them? The other thing is the line is not yet active, so should I wait until it is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast