Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband slows when landline plugged in

This is a discussion on Broadband slows when landline plugged in within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I got Sky broadband a few months ago and it was fine, about 1mb down so not great. ...

Matt KB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband slows when landline plugged in

Hi all,

I got Sky broadband a few months ago and it was fine, about 1mb down so not great. However, after I called Sky to talk it through, it turned out (after trying various combinations) that the internet plugged in alone works and allows 3mb down, and with the phone connected it resorts instantly back to 1mb until it's unplugged and router rebooted.

Sky said it's a BT issue, BT say it's a Sky issue but suggested getting an iPlate. My master socket (the only one I am using, with microfilter connected) has the OpenReach label on it - not sure on the model but I'm assuming it's the latest wiring as it's a new build property.

Now the iplate has arrived I see that it basically just lets you use everything through the test socket - not tried it yet but the test socket didn't give me much joy (same result). I don't know what to try next, they have tested the line and BT say it's all fine, and as both internet and phone work (despite the speed issue when both connected) they will charge me for a call out - and it's not cheap!

Any ideas please? I kind of need my landline but don't want it at the expense of crippling my broadband.

Cheers,

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Broadband slows when landline plugged in

Do you have more than one socket on your line? If so when you remove the plate to expose the test socket do the other sockets die or is there still dial tone?
      The Iplate does not "let you use everything through the test socket" the front plate plugs into the test socket in the same way that your current plate connects but it also filters the line from the test socket onwards so that the entire internal wiring is filtered correctly.

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

swap microfilters
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Do you have more than one socket on your line? If so when you remove the plate to expose the test socket do the other sockets die or is there still dial tone?
      The Iplate does not "let you use everything through the test socket" the front plate plugs into the test socket in the same way that your current plate connects but it also filters the line from the test socket onwards so that the entire internal wiring is filtered correctly.
      Will give the iPlate a go tomorrow then I think.

Have tried swapping microfilters, no joy there

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I, just i, i am in no way telling you to check this, but I would have a look behind the master socket to check that there is only 2 wires (blue/white and white/blue) are connected. but thats just me
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

If the master socket has the Openreach logo then it already has the main component of the iplate(bell wire inductor). As above, remove the front lower plate of the NTE5 and make sure any other extensions go dead. What you describe does sound like a faulty filter but you have replaced it, the only other explanantion would be a line fault, does the speed drop off as soon as a phone is plugged in or when it is taken off hook?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt KB View Post
      Will give the iPlate a go tomorrow then I think.

Have tried swapping microfilters, no joy there
      Did you try one that wasn't supplied with the Sky router? As you wouldn't be the first if you have been sent a complete set of duds.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      If the master socket has the Openreach logo then it already has the main component of the iplate(bell wire inductor). As above, remove the front lower plate of the NTE5 and make sure any other extensions go dead. What you describe does sound like a faulty filter but you have replaced it, the only other explanantion would be a line fault, does the speed drop off as soon as a phone is plugged in or when it is taken off hook?
      Hmm sounds like I won't benefit from trying it. Will try taking a look when I get in tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      Did you try one that wasn't supplied with the Sky router? As you wouldn't be the first if you have been sent a complete set of duds.

Yeah they are the ones that came supplied with Sky. Are there some I can buy if need be that are recommended? I got the iPlate from broadbandbuyer.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      I'm having a nightmare with this. Now when I plug the phone in it just kills the connection altogether then restarts after a few secs at a slow speed - this is without even finding a dial tone.

I tried the iPlate, exactly the same, it made no difference. In the master plate, I have three wires - blue, light blue and red.

Some pics: Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Do you get the same problem with the filter plugged into the test socket (the socket in the backplate that you have exposed)?
      Do you use a cordless phone?

You haven't answered PaulSky's question 'do the other sockets die or is there still dial tone?' yet.

...but I'm assuming it's the latest wiring as it's a new build property.
      Not necessarily.
      Builder probably using the cheapest materials and installed by an electrician rather then a telecoms engineer.
      The cable in your photo doesn't look like conventional telephone cable.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast