Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Faceplate Info

This is a discussion on Faceplate Info within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Below is a picture of my existing main socket. My landline is due to go live in two ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Faceplate Info

Hi guys,

Below is a picture of my existing main socket. My landline is due to go live in two weeks and I was thinking I'll change the faceplate before I plug in my router (before DLM starts) in an attempt to achieve maximum broadband speed.

Queries:

1) Will a NTE-2005 or XTE-2005 fit my socket?
      2) If yes which one should I go for? Which is the better one?
      3) There are 3 wires going in the current faceplate at terminals 2,3 and 5. My understanding is that I have to take out the wires from terminal 2 and 5 and put these in the new faceplate respectively. The wire in terminal 3 is the 'ringer' one and wont be necessary. Is this true?

Thanks in advance guys..

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate Info

I chose the XTE-2005 and it works fine in exactly the same fitting as yours. The XTE-2005 has better quality components.

The wiring is as you suggest.

It is a very simple upgrade and took my Sky BB speed from about 8 Mbps to 16 Mbps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

Exdee (29-12-10)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think RunitDirect would disagree that the XTE has better quality parts I use it and have had no problems - XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation There is no difference in performance between it and the NTE2005 supplied by RiD - BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version You pays your money and makes your choice.

Incidentally you can reconnect the ring wire if you wish, it is filtered from the ADSL so makes no difference. Unless you have old phones which require it, it is not worth the bother. Check your phone rings OK before discarding it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Exdee (29-12-10)

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll go with XTE-2005.

Thanks

Guys I've also noticed something attatched to the main door. It has GPO written on it. The pictures below should give a clearer picture.

What is it?
      Will it affect my broadband speed?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Its an inline junction box. I would hazard a guess that it is redundant as the cable colours are different to the ones in your master socket. To be sure have a look on the outside of your property and see where the incoming cable heads to, the master or the junction.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:

Exdee (02-01-11)

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Dholdi. I've just checked the main wire comes in through the door into the junction box. The junction box is then wired to the main socket. Am I right in assuming that the junction box just serves as a joint? I've heard joints arent good for ADSL..

I do appreciate your eye for detail though. There is a second wire in the master socket whose colors are more prominent in the picture in the first post. However there are no physical extensions in the property. This second wire runs to a bedroom and disappears into a wall.

It will be interesting to see what the openreach engineer will do with the configuration. I dont think he would remove the junction box. Geographically I am fairly close to the exchange; around 700 metres by road. Hope this junction box is not an issue. Never seen one before. Must be from the hardwiring era.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A couple of points.

Yes the junction box (JB) is from the hard-wired era.
      Properly installed they aren't a problem.

There are three connections to that JB though.

I take it that your incoming cable is underground and there is a JB on the outside of the house where the cream cable joins to it and that this is the lower of the two cream coloured cables which does a right angle into the wall?

Does the poorly installed cable out of the bottom of the junction box goes to the master socket?
      Properly installed the cable sheath should come into the JB rather than just the two rather tight wires.

There is a second cream cable which runs out of the top of the picture.
      Where does that go?

The cream cable is old with the four cores only lightly twisted.
      Modern cable has the individual pairs more tightly twisted which helps to reject outside interference.

You may be able to get the Openreach engineer to install a complete run of new cable from the outside junction box to the master socket (especially if you offer to give a hand with running cables etc ).
      This would give you the best chance with broadband.

Is the cable to the bedroom connected to the faceplate of the master socket that you have removed?
      If you don't need an extension in the bedroom there is no need to reconnect it when you fit the new faceplate.
      In fact,apart from neatness,there is no need to fit a filtered faceplate at all if you don't have extensions.

Andy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJG For This Useful Post:

Exdee (03-01-11)

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      Does the poorly installed cable out of the bottom of the junction box goes to the master socket?
      Properly installed the cable sheath should come into the JB rather than just the two rather tight wires.
      It looks to me like the bottom two wires are snipped off at the box. probably the remains of a hard wired phone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy logic For This Useful Post:

Exdee (03-01-11)

Thanks

Thanks for your replies; Andy and Fuzzy.

Fuzzy is right.There are two connections in the junction box i.e the two wires at the top. As you rightly guessed the lower cable is the one that comes in from outside. I'm sorry I should have mentioned before that the building is a block of 6 flats. I followed the cable that comes in through the door. It is clipped to the wall and goes down towards the communal entrance where it goes into the following (bigger junction box? i think). The box is inside the building.

This JB has wires going to other flats too. I've checked the back side of the wall where the junction box is placed and there is no visible wire coming in from the exterior of the building.

There is a utility room under the stairs where the electricty meters are located. I found this there. Irrelevant?

The extension is connected to the master socket behind the faceplate in the same terminals as the main wire. I wont plug it back in when i change the faceplate.

Now that it's more clearer. Do you think I stand a chance of getting a replacement from the wire from the junction box (the big one) to the master socket?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast