Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Faceplate Info

This is a discussion on Faceplate Info within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry for the confusion. It looked like the two wires from the bottom of the JB ran behind the wallpaper. ...

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate Info

Sorry for the confusion.
      It looked like the two wires from the bottom of the JB ran behind the wallpaper.

Flats -- a whole new can of worms.
      There are several threads on here of people having problems.
      Looking at the wiring yours must be (very) old.

You can only try and ask if the Openreach engineer will put in a new length of cable but it may not help as he won't touch the wiring onward from that JB (your last top photo).
      My suggestion was based on you living in a house
      Be prepared for possibly not getting the speeds you might expect due to the wiring in you flat block.

Take care when investigating the wiring in the JB in the utility room as it looks like the main incoming cable.
      Cut off someone else's phone and Openreach won't be at all happy (and may well charge you to put it right).

Andy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJG For This Useful Post:

Exdee (05-01-11)

3. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply Andy.

I'll update this thread once the line goes live.

Isadora is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

HI Can someone help. Neither of my phone sockets look like the one in the picture. Neither are a split face plate. Currently I have no land line. Have been with Sky since May for phone Broadband and TV. Phone is a Panasonic KX-TG8021E and was purchased within the last six months. The display shows "Check Tel Line" No dial tone, cannot make or receive calls. Still have broadband. Called Sky who had me unscrewing the face plates looking for a the test socket don't have one. He tells me he will check line and if Open Reach have to come into my house I will have to pay 99 call out plus 64 per hour. Phone was working fine Sunday. Phone was connected by engineer organised by Sky back in May when I moved here. Anyone any suggestions. Thanks

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Can you post up pictures of the faceplates you have? Basically you need to find the one that has the BT cable from outside in it, this will be terminated to pins 2 & 5. It would be easiest if you replaced that faceplate with an NTE5 that way you can isolate all internal wiring and prove the fault is not with your wiring.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
      HI Can someone help. Neither of my phone sockets look like the one in the picture. Neither are a split face plate. Currently I have no land line. Have been with Sky since May for phone Broadband and TV. Phone is a Panasonic KX-TG8021E and was purchased within the last six months. The display shows "Check Tel Line" No dial tone, cannot make or receive calls. Still have broadband. Called Sky who had me unscrewing the face plates looking for a the test socket don't have one. He tells me he will check line and if Open Reach have to come into my house I will have to pay 99 call out plus 64 per hour. Phone was working fine Sunday. Phone was connected by engineer organised by Sky back in May when I moved here. Anyone any suggestions. Thanks
      Sounds like the BB is still connected to the data tie pair but the line has been disconnected from the voice tie pair. You need to speak to your CP regarding the voice line, it's nothing to do with Sky (unless, of course, they provide your phone line/calls)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

It looks like sky can't make up their mind. Should I be worried? Landline activated today. No broadband yet.

Thanks

Hi thanks for that but it sounds complicated and I don't think I could do that. What I can't understand is how come my broadband is working but I don't have a working landline. This morning I have unplugged the phone and tried it in the second socket. Zilch, tried the old phone in both sockets, Zilch. Now Sky tell me that although the fault was reported to them and I would have to wait 72 hours for it to be resolved now they tell me that nothing will happen until Monday this means my phone will have been out of action since Tuesday for certain and possibily before but as I was away Monday I don't know. I am so fed up with Sky, they never ring back, they do things without telling me like diverting my landline to my mobile, they seem to think that anything reported to them in unimportant. When my contract is up I am seriously thinking of leaving Sky for broadband and phone.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi thanks for that but it sounds complicated and I don't think I could do that. What I can't understand is how come my broadband is working but I don't have a working landline.
      ADSL uses radio frequencies, and will 'work', albeit not as well on a single wire, whereas the telephone requires a pair of wires to complete the circuit. So one possibility is there's a bad connection, or broken wire either on the line to the exchange or in your internal phone wiring. Another is a fault at the exchange:- eg with the voice tie pair as IWNTE mentioned, or a faulty line card, or misconfiguration.

Thanks

Thanks guys but I don't think I can do anything about the wiring I don't want to interfere with the wires in case I do something then Open Reach will have to come into the house and I'll have to pay.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi thanks for that but it sounds complicated and I don't think I could do that. What I can't understand is how come my broadband is working but I don't have a working landline. This morning I have unplugged the phone and tried it in the second socket. Zilch, tried the old phone in both sockets, Zilch. Now Sky tell me that although the fault was reported to them and I would have to wait 72 hours for it to be resolved now they tell me that nothing will happen until Monday this means my phone will have been out of action since Tuesday for certain and possibily before but as I was away Monday I don't know. I am so fed up with Sky, they never ring back, they do things without telling me like diverting my landline to my mobile, they seem to think that anything reported to them in unimportant. When my contract is up I am seriously thinking of leaving Sky for broadband and phone.
      If you have had Sky Broadband and they cancel it they do so on a screen. The screen will tell the CS agent your BB is cancelled and no amount of telling them that it still works will convince them any different.

What happens, is you are connected on a port at the exchange to Sky's kit. Sky will cancel that port number, but until Sky then reallocate that port to a new customer your BB will still work.

In the old days, if an ISP cancelled your BB then BT would trot off to the exchange and disconnect you. Nowadays, that don't happen.

So let's say for arguements sake you are on port 112, and you tell Sky to cancel, they will do on their systems. However, BT do sod all and don't visit your exchange or disconnect port 112.

Sky will get a new customer on your exchange at some point and will say to BT, BT please connect Joe Bloggs to port 112 - This is the point, BT will go to the exchange and then physically change port 112 to phone number, xxxxxxxxxxx

This is when your BB will stop working.

Now if for example Sky do not have that many new customers at your exchange, your BB could work for days, weeks or even months. No amount of telling Sky your BB is still working, is going to convince them that it does. I have been there and done that.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast