Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Download Speeds and Anytime+

This is a discussion on Sky Download Speeds and Anytime+ within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is probably in the wrong section but here goes anyway. Some time ago I was trying to find the ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Download Speeds and Anytime+

This is probably in the wrong section but here goes anyway.

Some time ago I was trying to find the cause of poor download speeds, the stats were.
      Download 1530 kbbs
      Upload 796 kbbs
      Attenuation 51 db
      Download noise margin 6.4 db
      Upload noise margin 10.5 db

The router is a sagem

I won't boar you with the internal wiring details, but suffice to say everything was fine and the line had only a low hum when tested with a wired phone at the test socket. all extensions were dead with the test socket exposed, no alarm, and Sky box not connected to phone line.

Despite this poor speed, the owners were happy, they only used BB for e-mail and internet browsing, so did not want to call sky.
      I was sure it was a Sky problem, the connection had been rock solid for over 1000 hours and the funny thing was that the noise margin increased during the hours of darkness, up to 9.9db, and then droped back to 6.4db during the day.

They are keen to have Anytime+ and have a Pace box, so I returned last weekend and did the forced upgrade to load the latest software on the box, at the same time connecting it up to the router. I did explain that Anytime+ was not available on Pace boxes yet, but they would be ready when it is. I also explained that they should contact Sky about their poor download as this will effect Anytime+

Now the odd bit. Two days later, I called again (these people are relatives)
      and had a look at the line stats. The download noise margin was now 22db. Much better. They had not called Sky and have not, they are waiting to see if DLM kicks in again now the noise margin has improved. The noise margin also now behaves as it should reducing during the hours of darkness by a couple of db.

All this may be a coincidence, but I think connecting up the pace box (o.k on both service and local connection) has kicked the Dslam out of test mode.

Will update when/if their line speed increases, I think it requires 3-4 days of better noise margin before DLM kicks back in.

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Download Speeds and Anytime+

It all depends if DLM is active as such, a call to get it turned on might be needed but yeah best wait and see
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Download Speeds and Anytime+

Further visit today as it is 3 days following the improved noise margin and DLM has started to retest the line with the normal 4meg starting speed along with a message in their My Sky page telling them to leave the router powered up for 10 days.
      My brother-in-law cannot really see what all the fuss is about, but I keep telling him he will once they start to use Anytime+ Like I suspect a lot of BB users, he never looks at the line stats, so long as the e-mail works, along with Tesco's site, they are happy