Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will an NTE5 increase my speed?

This is a discussion on Will an NTE5 increase my speed? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, so this is how the networking in my house is currently (probably overly-detailed but hey): And my router stats: ...

GTom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will an NTE5 increase my speed?

Ok, so this is how the networking in my house is currently (probably overly-detailed but hey):

And my router stats:

The master socket is just a double-socket plate like this from when we used to have 2 phone lines, however now we only have one.

Would i be likely to see an improvement by fitting an NTE5 socket and installing a filtered ADSL faceplate onto it? I am aware that the attenuation on my line is high at 61Db. All wires except 2 and 5 have been disconnected from the junction box onwards.

Earlier today i decided to see if any internal cabling was causing the high attenuation, so i opened the junction box by the door and hard wired the white + orange wires on pins 2 and 5 into the router (via a small Cat5e cable with an RJ11 plug on one end and 2 naked cables on the other). There was no
      difference in the stats - but am i right in saying because the line wasn't filtered then it was unlikely i would see an improvement?

So would you reccomend i try installing an NTE master socket and ADSL faceplate filter? If so, would it be possible to do this and still have the router connected at the secondary socket?

Also, my speed seems to either be 1920 or 2048 - never higher. Is it possible that Sky is capping my line at 2048?

Thanks for reading, i know this post seems quite inflated but i am really desperate to get as much extra speed as i possibly can, even 500kbps more would be great!

2. Advertisement
      Storm05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: amesbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Will an NTE5 increase my speed?

I'm not sure whether it would cause any significant improvement, but i'd do it anyway, at least that way if you have any problems broadband or phone wise you can test without the extensions connected which you can't do easily at the moment.

Personally, if possible i would get rid of the double socket altogether and just join the wires in the back - that way your upstairs socket will become your one and only socket, you can plug the phone in up there and put another handset downstairs if needed without a phone line.

In terms of what you did by plugging straight into the router i would guess it's because it's unfiltered that it didn't do much.

Also, in my experience Sky are sods for speeds, they throttle mine in the evening to about 3meg though during the day i get 6+ usually, just the way they roll i believe!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

If you're going to change things about I'd replace the junction box before the double socket with an NTE5, fit a filtered faceplate to that and have the router there and then make provisions to get the your devices - either wireless, Ethernet or homeplugs - and not use the extension at all. This will then give you the best connection
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There was no
      difference in the stats - but am i right in saying because the line wasn't filtered then it was unlikely i would see an improvement?
      You say there was no difference, as you are capped at 2048, there would be no speed difference, but did the noise margin increase? The purpose of a filter is to separate the frequencies used by ADSL and other devices to reduce 'crosstalk'. If you have no other devices connected there is no need for a filter. Although you are capped, this is for stability, your noise margin shows your line is at its limit.

So would you reccomend i try installing an NTE master socket and ADSL faceplate filter? If so, would it be possible to do this and still have the router connected at the secondary socket?
      Having an NTE5 is always worthwhile, however speedwise, if you can't plug into it, there is no advantage apart from appearance. If you wanted to use your extension for broadband, the wires would have to be connected to the AB terminals of the faceplate, bring you right back to where you are now. To sum up, if you fit and use a filtered faceplate for your router, you isolate the rest of your wiring and reduce possible interference, it may improve your connection. If you fit and don't use the faceplate for your router, apart from cosmetics and the ability to do a check on your wiring, there is no benefit.

You might want to consider fitting one of these on your extension, apart from the better appearance it uses a higher quality filter than those supplied by Sky. XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
      Earlier today i decided to see if any internal cabling was causing the high attenuation, so i opened the junction box by the door and hard wired the white + orange wires on pins 2 and 5 into the router (via a small Cat5e cable with an RJ11 plug on one end and 2 naked cables on the other). There was no
      If you disconnected the internal wiring when doing this & saw no difference in noise margin then you can not improve things your end.

Personally I'd still fit a filtered faceplate & NTE5. Fit the NTE5 in place of the existing socket(or replace the junction box if possible), fit an NTE2005 to that, you then only run one pair(so no bell wire!) to this new socket up stairs.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.