Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dodgy looking wiring.

This is a discussion on Dodgy looking wiring. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello, long time lurker here. Right, I've had sky broadband and talk for a good while now (might be 2 ...

Noesph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSNCHM - North Cheam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dodgy looking wiring.

hello, long time lurker here.

Right, I've had sky broadband and talk for a good while now (might be 2 years, not sure). Anyway the telephone has always been bad since we joined up (As in its really hard to hear people talking, sometimes I have to select speaker phone on the phone just to hear people)

Internet is pretty slow ( download 1.78 mb/s, upload 0.56 mb/s, ping 33ms - its not too bad today tbh)

Anyway after calling out bt, and them not really doing anything, apart from saying the phone is broken (3 phones in 2 years, they can't all be bad), I thought I might lift some floorboards to see what the wiring looks like, and found this

and a diagram

also the phone wiring seems to be pretty old (house was built in 1929 so I'm told), and all the phone sockets are of the old type, something like this

plus there is a oval shaped box just inside the window in the front room, It seems to me this is where external cable joins the internal cable.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Dodgy looking wiring.

Nasty! The ideal would be to replace the oval box with an NTE5, fit a filtered faceplate to that and run the router from that socket. If that is not ideal then we need to know where you want to plug you router in.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The joint under the floor is probably causing most of your problems. The easiest way to fix this would be to replace your existing master with an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate. Use the ADSL port on the faceplate for your broadband and connect the wire going upstairs, plus any other extensions you have to the 2,3,5, terminals of the faceplate. They are then isolated and will cause no further problem.

If you can lift floorboards, fitting an NTE5 would be a piece of cake to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

cool, i'll do that then.

here's a pic of the oval box (without cover) if you want a peak.

Thanks

You seem to have 2 connections to this junction box, one will be going to the master socket. Where is the other one going?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

it seems to me the white wire runs down to the main socket (which is straight underneath it), and the grey wire runs into the hallway, where there is another socket in the electrical board. But the wires are plastered into wall, there is very little slack on them either.

Thanks

In that case, if you need the extension, replacing this with an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate, as suggested by Runit' would be the best way. If you don't need the extra extension, just cut it off and replace your master, which would probably be more convenient..

TomD

Useful Utilites