Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Poor SNR

This is a discussion on Poor SNR within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys Just switched from VM National to Sky Broadband Unlimited on Monday. Running DLM now and it looks like ...

gurdain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Poor SNR

Hi guys

Just switched from VM National to Sky Broadband Unlimited on Monday. Running DLM now and it looks like it will stabilise between 7-8mbit based on my SNR values.

I currently have about 7800kbps sync with 39db attenuation and 7.3db SNR

I checked the router of the lady who lives on the ground floor and she is connected at 3300kbps with similar attenuation and 21db SNR.

The drop wire terminates at a black junction box outside and then splits out via telephone cable to each flat. This cable runs for about 1m to the inside of my kitchen where it is gel connected to another cable, which is joined to another at the kitchen door using a BT78A, which then runs to a newly fitted NTE5A with microfilter and router.

Her wire trails much longer to her flat from the junction box.

Just wondering whether based on the relationship between our sync speeds and our SNRs whether there is likely to be much to improve with the in-house wiring from the junction box.

Another really weird thing to note which is bothering me quite a bit - I used to sync at 3.5mbit with 28-30db attenuation before with the same SNR??? And during that time, the lady downstairs was syncing at the full 8mbit??

All I changed since then was removing all my extensions and replacing my LJU master with an NTE5A.

All in all sounds complex. I've attached a photo of the gel crimped part near the kitchen.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Poor SNR

That's just horrid, I'd have that replaced ASAP personally
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Always thought there was something iffy about this.
      I think I'll take the BT78A off the join at the kitchen door and use it to join this daddy long legs of incoming wire and then from there run a new CW1308 directly to the NTE5A.

Is run direct IT around? I think my brain is going to explode with the amount of research I have done. See below for a diagram of my current wiring and previous wiring before I did any work showing all the information.

I will need to add a phone point in the lounge for Sky and possibly an ADSL connection in the study (master > phone for sky in lounge and adsl for router in study)

I was thinking of moving the NTE5A closer to the incoming wire and then running NTE2000 extension kit to the study and a hardwired output to the lounge for the Sky connection?

Any advice would be much appreciated - Sky speed estimation said I should get 10-20mbit, same as what VM said before they set it at 3.5mbit for the whole year!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You would be best replacing the first junction box with the NTE5 master socket and then fit a filtered faceplate to run a second phone only point to where the current socket is now.

Then either run the router from the master or run i an ethernet cable to the router.

Thanks

would I use an NTE2000 kit to run from the master socket to the study and connect an XTF-85 in the lounge for sky via CW1308 on the 2 and 5 connections of the master

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You would be best replacing the first junction box with the NTE5 master socket and then fit a filtered faceplate to run a second phone only point to where the current socket is now.

Then either run the router from the master or run i an ethernet cable to the router.
      ideally yes that sounds great. But as you can just about see from the photo, the wire coming into the kitchen is not long enough....unless I have the NTE5A sitting on the windowsill or if I drill it into the side.

Do you think I could use the BT78A here to extend the cable enough to mount the NTE5A it above my kitchen units and from there run an NTE2000 extension kit and telephone cable to an xf-85 in lounge...or simply a standard socket with microfilter...

Thanks

also any ideas why my attenuation went mental?

for a whole year they were in the late 20s - ever since I disconnected the extensions, its nearer 40????
      the lady downstairs has similar attenuation to me - perhaps I'm the reason she is no longer syncing at 8mbit.....but its so confusing - I can see clearly her line running to the junction box outside....

Or maybe it was the first sky engineer who came and tried to mount the minidish next to the junction box, perhaps he accidentally did something...the attenuation thing really has me stumped - usually it doesn't go up when you disconnect extensions...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes i'm here Will take a look now, just working on new payment gateways on the website (yawn!).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Fantastic! Looking forward to your words of wisdom

I reckon I should have posted at the start of all of this. It's so much information to post that it's harder for people to see a direct solution

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Ok, basically if you replace the first junction box where the drop wire is with an NTE5 (& NTE2005 ADSL faceplate)whatever you get from there will be the max as far as any internal wiring goes. Fit the NTE5 there then CW1308 to where you need extension(s). For the extension with the router use the NTE2000 extension kit OR if you require a phone at that point too use CW1308 and this socket. Remember the extension which has the router on MUST connect to the A & B terminals on the NTE2005 faceplate. The extensions for just phones connect to 2,3 & 5 & do not require plug in filters any more. Hope this helps.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast