Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Poor SNR

This is a discussion on Poor SNR within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have never noticed it before but this does not seem to be within the Ofcom guidelines which say the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Poor SNR

I have never noticed it before but this does not seem to be within the Ofcom guidelines which say the ISP should give an indication of the speed they would supply. To say "we estimated that the maximum download speed for your line was: 10-20Mb" is completely meaningless. That could apply to any line anywhere, even one which could only actually get 512kb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      gurdain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Interesting....

You're right - they should have said "we estimated your download speed to be between 10mb-20mb" not that 10-20 would be the maximum.

That could mean I get 10mb maximum without ever achieving it as you said.....any speed.

Thanks

Hey guys

Just to update you - still haven't had the time to sort out a phone. The wife wants to get one of those vintage ones and the whole place has been in a mess so I haven't had any time yet.

She's getting a bit miffed by the sight of the NTE5 in the kitchen and the dangling wires to the router so this week hopefully if I get some time I will do the following:

1. Stick spare screw type mini BT box at kitchen entrance joined to new CW1308.

2. Run the CW1308 directly into my study to put the NTE5 there

3. Replace dodgy NTE5A faceplate generating errors with an NTE2005

4. Run CW1308 from 2 and 5 to this extension in the lounge for the Sky box:
      BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11

I know you guys are saying ideally that the NTE5 should be as close as possible to the drop wire and that I could run an extension from there, the truth is that my SNR/attenuation never changed when I ruled out my internal wiring. The old CW1308, the gel connectors, the junction box, the old master box - nothing up to now has managed to improve anything. Only the old extensions I removed earlier bumped up the sync speed from 3.5 on Virgin to 8mbit now on Sky.

So I don't think the extra length of wire to the master socket will make any difference and this way I have a phone point in the study and in the lounge.

Just ordered Anytime+ self-install and will use twin 85mbit homeplug to wire the Sky box to the router in the study.

Then I can test the line and see if I can make Sky come out and sort out the external junction box, by then the internal wiring should look fairly decent. If there is no noise I have some family friends who work for BT and some of my family used to work for BT 10 years back so maybe they could take a look.

If you guys have any alternative advice, please do suggest.

Also, does anybody know what model my exterior junction box is and how it is likely to be wired internally? That would probably give me a better idea...

Thanks

You seem to have it all in hand. The extra bit of wire from the junction to the new socket position will make no difference as long as you are using the correct wire, which you appear to be. When you thing about it, the line has come a couple of miles from the exchange in twisted pair, so another few metres is going to make no difference. Keeping the other half happy is the main consideration.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

By the way, as I'm ordering those items now. Just wondering if anybody knows what exactly BT uses to secure the wire on the wall.

It clearly isn't regular white cable clips, looks like staplers!!

Where can I buy those, or should I just get the white clips and not bother?

How would you staple to the wall anyway...

Thanks

Tele-engineers use a staple gun with special staples, something like this - Buy Arrow T72 Insulated Staple Wire Tacker from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK Obviously too expensive for a on off job. Something like these would do the job and they will fix to masonry/plaster or wood. - Toolstation > Electrical > Cable Management > Cable Clip Round

Available from B & Q or Screwfix etc.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

OK great

From run-it-direct I ordered:

20m of cw1308 white 2 pair
      BT filtered socket
      NTE2005 faceplate
      100 pack of white clips

Should be good - wireless signal is quite rubbish even though its a tiny 2 bedroom flat. Enough for internet, but in the bedroom signal goes quite low having the router in the kitchen. Also having it in the study will mean I can run ethernet and use wake on lan for remote access to the PC.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

That will all be leaving us today via 1st Class Recorded Delivery BT/Telco Engineers do use a staple gun, clips are a little unsightly but you have no risk of stapling the cable!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      That will all be leaving us today via 1st Class Recorded Delivery BT/Telco Engineers do use a staple gun, clips are a little unsightly but you have no risk of stapling the cable!!
      Great!

Just realised another advantage - my hackintosh system doesn't support my wireless card. So I'll have internet no problem through ethernet with the router in the study!

Then I can move back onto the issue of the junction box.....
      I watched something on iplayer through my PS3 last night after ages....it was connected to the o2 wireless from downstairs

buffering every few seconds....

when I was on Virgin, I used to always switch to the o2 because it was much faster....not any more

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456