Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Poor SNR

This is a discussion on Poor SNR within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Looks like a bolt missing on that dish which says it all. The BT box looks like it is hanging ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Poor SNR

Looks like a bolt missing on that dish which says it all. The BT box looks like it is hanging off the wall with your drop wire pinning it back on??!! Your wire also goes through a nasty 90 degree bend with a clip bashed on top for good measure by the looks!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      gurdain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hmmm...as far as I can remember I was quite angry at the 1st engineer for arriving near 6pm when I had booked a morning slot and taken the day off work.

He then stormed in apologising without taking his shoes off and it was raining outside so the carpet was dirty.

All of that aside, he rushed up the back saying it would take 10-15 mins and if he could get a signal lock then he could run the wires in and leave the equipment and be done with it so I could get on with the plans I made in the evening.

So he put the ladder up in the dark with his fluourescent thing on and took the dish and screwed it in, found no decent stable signal so he came down, packed his ladder and phoned Sky to get a rebooking for the week later.

I'm guessing he simply chose to bolt on the top left and bottom right bolts (I will take a look again tomorrow morning to see as by the time I get home it is dark again!)

As for the BT box "hanging off the wall with my drop wire pinning it back on," are you referring to the wire running from the left to my kitchen window?? I thought that was simply CW1308 style cable for my line and that the drop cable was the fat black cable coming underneath from the left into the bottom of the junction box. Correct me if I am wrong...

I was also wondering about that 90 degree bend, as I had read that the clips never go on corners....

What do you think I should do? I have already written a complaint to Sky asking them to remove the dish and get an openreach engineer over to inspect the junction box for free based on my assumption that the engineer has caused disruption/damage to the telephone system.

I complained to them earlier about wasting a day's wage at home only for an engineer to turn up stupidly late and then leave without finishing the job and they waived my HD cost (10/month for a whole year) to cover the inconvenience.

I hope I am just as lucky this time around!

Isitme, you're right, BT shouldn't need to come into the property. Perhaps I should simply be at work when they come....or do you think that is unwise and that an engineer could simply leave without dealing with the issue?

Sorry for the long post - wanted to air everything out

Thanks

stats as of now on start of day 10:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8117 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0db 24.0db
      Noise Margin 7.5db 16.0db

Thanks

I checked outside this morning and yes, the engineer fitted bolts on the top left and bottom right only. I'm guessing he would have fitted the other two if he had received a decent signal for the TV, but he didn't.

Just received a reply from Sky with only my original message inside it and no message from Sky....

Thanks

Sky called me up

Was a 30 minute phone call

They agreed to get someone to get the dish removed....but obviously they didn't want to send an engineer out to look at the junction box because they wanted to see that nothing inside the house caused an issue with the connection

I explained that the neighbours connection issue along with my attenuation jump is hardly a coincidence given that things had been steady for the past year.

I also explained that the change to Sky hadn't caused any of the issues, because the change in data was while I was still with Virgin a few days before Sky transferred (the first dish was installed days before broadband became active)

I argued my corner, but understood that there is a procedure. They asked me if I had tried test socket - I explained fully that I no longer have extensions and none of the stats have improved at all.

He said there are errors on my line, not a huge amount, but they're constant and wants to see whether plugging it in to the test socket will reduce or eliminate these.

If it does, then he won't do anything obviously. If the errors remain, then he could register it as BT's problem and get openreach to come out without charge. Alternatively he did mention that if the neighbour calls Sky up and mentions the errors on her router and the drop in sync speed then that could be registered as a fault and go straight to BT.

Then I realised - they are only really interested in a fault on the line before they will do anything, otherwise it could be a fault of mine....

Clearly, the neighbour won't really help me with this - she probably hasn't noticed anything about her internet because she doesn't see the stats and probably doesn't download much.

What do you guys think? I am synced at around 8mbit, but when I log in on Sky it tells me my download speed has been set to 4.0mbit and upload to 500k.

Bloody great

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What it tells you on the site does not really matter, if you are syncing at 8Mb, you will get that. The only difficulty is if it comes to the crunch they could say, "we told you you would only get 4 Mb so why are you complaining when you are getting 8b?" But that's a worry for the future.

Plug into your Test socket and call them, they should get someone out to look at the box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well they said 10-20 so I don't think I'll have that problem

Thanks

Hi guys

On phone with Indian sky support member who said my line supports 3.5 meg so 8 meg is great.

Lol

Anyway she eventually got proper info and found that even in the test socket the errors are still building up on my line so if I call BT they can replace wiring that comes into the property. I told her she has to raise a fault I can't call directly. She forwarded me to technical support. In wait queue now

Thanks

Well dead end now.
      She said no errors on test socket and small amount of errors build up on non test soccket but that line is stable. They said they're not interested in my attenuation jump from 28 to 39db because they only care about faults. Line has no major fault and speed of 8 is good. Don't care about my 10-20mbit estimation at all. So the Indian lady was apparently wrong when she said errors are still building up in test socket.

What do i do now? She said she will monitor line changes for next 2 days but that's it smile be happy with your 8mbit and ignore your suspicions

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What about the box that appears to be falling off the wall? That should be reported to your phone rental provider, not broadband support. Get someone out to look at that and maybe your broadband will improve as a consequence.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast