Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Longer cable needed from faceplate to router

This is a discussion on Longer cable needed from faceplate to router within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A couple of years ago, one forum member on here, Brian69, very helpfully gave me a shorter cable to run ...

burnley_lad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Longer cable needed from faceplate to router

A couple of years ago, one forum member on here, Brian69, very helpfully gave me a shorter cable to run from my faceplate to my router (in my front room), as I wanted the router close to my faceplate and not have excessive cable.

At the time, I thought that I would always keep my sky router where I'd moved it to, so I discarded the old long cable thinking I wouldn't need it again. However, recently I have purchased an ipod speaker dock, from which I would like to play streaming radio whilst my ipod is docked in my kitchen. However, the signal strength is not all that strong, and the connection keeps dropping out. When I walk with the ipod in my hand towards my front room, the wifi signal goes back up to full.

Therefore, I want to place my router on the other side of my front room closer to my kitchen by about 18 feet.

Am I able to purchase a replacement longer cable from a high street shop? I seem to remember there was an issue about the wiring of these, and even though I may purchase one that has got the right connectors on each end, the wiring itself would mean that I wouldn't be able to use it.

Sorry to ramble on, but I'm not all that technical, and I've tried to explain the issue the best I can!

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Longer cable needed from faceplate to router

check out maplins for such things or the Runit guy who frequents the forums.

run-IT-direct, Structured Cabling(Network/Telephone)Installation Services,ADSL/Telephone & Networking Products

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

From your description its an RJ11 cable your are on about. Not so sure if you will get a long length one on the high street, but on Amazon you can get them. You should be able to get one in the length that you want (See my below link).

Amazon.co.uk: rj11

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I would always avoid buying one from a place like maplins or amazon, you can kill your internet connection very easily with some of the poor quality cables they sell. Run-It-Direct sells a high quality adsl extension kit which is what I would recommend.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      I would always avoid buying one from a place like maplins or amazon, you can kill your internet connection very easily with some of the poor quality cables they sell. Run-It-Direct sells a high quality adsl extension kit which is what I would recommend.
      The one I purchased from Amazon was a Belkin, it was a 3 metre one, but there were longer lengths available if my memory serves me correctly. Its a really well made cable, excellent shielding on it too. I agree though, avoid poor quality ones.