Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help req. with Jn. Box and cable and wiring

This is a discussion on Help req. with Jn. Box and cable and wiring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I need help to rewire the phone cable. At present the drop wire comes in to the hallway entrance ...

sanj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: croydon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Help req. with wiring,cable and jn. box

Hi
      I need help to rewire the phone cable.
      At present the drop wire comes in to the hallway entrance and straight into a 1950s BT junction box which is near the ceiling. Picture Link below
      http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/protector_03.jpg

There was quite a bit noise so at the moment I have converted the upstairs extension to master socket and disconnected all extensions to achieve good synch speed(thanks to Isitme, simonmpoulton and others for advice)

I believe I need to do the rewiring so I can use all the equipment.

1. the above mentioned jn. box is very old, would there be improvement replacing it and if yes which one should I use Bt 80A or Bt 80A/RF3(I have Bt80A)

2. Do I really need the jn. box? can I move the master socket near the ceiling where the jn box is and connect the drop wire directly into master socket. nothing will be plugged into master socket directly just the extensions.

3. Is there any advantage using adslnation Pro+ Installation Cable over standard cw1308 cable.

My plan is to use xte 2005 faceplate on master socket then run two extensions in parallel one for upstairs and one for living room.
      Wiring will be done by a person who is supposed to do this type of work.

Any advice would be great.
      Last edited by sanj; 27-09-10 at 07:17 PM.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help req. with Jn. Box and cable and wiring

I believe the pro+ is better than the cw1308 from what I read a while back. Personally I would most certainly just scrap the junction box and put a new NTE5 master socket in its place with the drop wire directly wired onto it.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help req. with wiring,cable and jn. box

Quote Originally Posted by sanj View Post
      Hi

1. the above mentioned jn. box is very old, would there be improvement replacing it and if yes which one should I use Bt 80A or Bt 80A/RF3(I have Bt80A)

2. Do I really need the jn. box? can I move the master socket near the ceiling where the jn box is and connect the drop wire directly into master socket. nothing will be plugged into master socket directly just the extensions.

3. Is there any advantage using adslnation Pro+ Installation Cable over standard cw1308 cable.

My plan is to use xte 2005 faceplate on master socket then run two extensions in parallel one for upstairs and one for living room.
      Wiring will be done by a person who is supposed to do this type of work.

Any advice would be great.
      (1) A junction box simply joins the cables, if the joint is tight & not corroded there will be no technical improvement. A BT80A is the usual junction box for this application, if the connection is constantly dropping or there is noise on the line then a BT 80B RF3 can help in this instance.

(2) You could but it may look strange!

(3) The cable coming from the exchange is basically the same spec as CW1308, some people seem to push shielded cable as better. Some points to remember, shielded cable will make no difference if it is not grounded, there is no provision for a ground wire on a domestic telecom installation. The lack of ground can actually make things worse rather than improve things. BT use what is basically a CAT5e spec cable for their ADSL extension kits (minus 1 pair).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Thanks simonmpoulton and runitdirect.

So this is what I am understand.
      No advantage of pro+ cable if not grounded
      cat5e solid core cable for extensions better than cw1308.
      Master socket near the ceiling won't look good and it won't look like BT job.
      I'll have to use Jn. box as there is no more drop wire.

So would I get any advantage replacing the old 1950s built jn. box with Bt80a
      or not.

Is there any advantage using shortest possible length of cable rather than running them all over the house. for example if you run it around the door frame that is about 5 meter and if you run it under the carpet across the door that is less than a
      meter. Right now I have more than 30 meter cable going around the door frames and skirting.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So would I get any advantage replacing the old 1950s built jn. box with Bt80a
      or not.
      As the junction box you have is a 'protector', which means it is a bit like a fuse, you may get an advantage if the ends of the 'fuses' are a bit corroded. If you are going to replace it, you would be better using a BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection) as mentioned by RunIT. If there is any RF interference on your line this will help suppress it. If there is not, it will do no harm.

It goes without saying that the shorter the runs of cable you have the better. Be careful about running under a carpet though, make sure it is protected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As above it is best to keep cable runs as short as possible. What is ideal is to plug the router into the master, in a lot of cases this can't be done so this is where a filtered faceplate can really help. Rather than send the ADSL signal down all extensions that do not need it you seperate out the wiring so the only extension with ADSL is the one that needs it. The BT NTE2000 extension kit is ideal for this.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Cor its a long time since I have seen one of those!. The two white things are fuses, and they must have been there ages because later ones had them replaced with links (small bars of copper).
      You may well find it has an earth connection where the incomming line connects. This has nothing to do with the operation of the line, but provides protection from lighting (the line pair has two VDR's one side of which is connected to earth) This provides much better protection than the GDT in modern masters, but phones then had chrome dials, so good protection was necessary.
      The best thing is to replace it, but I doubt it is having any effect on your BB.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.
      Right now I am in the process to decide where the cable should run with minimum extensions. But I have to install 2 extensions least for sky boxes. Router is in small box bedroom right above the hall. So I am going to move the jn. box in the porch area which is covered then run the cable through the front wall into small bedroom where the router is. The cable length between jn. box and master socket would be 1.5 meter. Then use the filtered plate on master socket and run the extensions. Telewest fitted the master socket in small bedroom without any problem 5 years back. I hope bt won't have any problems with that.

I can get the bt80b/rf3 from runitdirect. If I fit bt80b/rf3, would bt notice that they didnot supply this jn. box in case they ever have to visit.

So hopefully wiring would be done over the weekend and possibly noise reduced. With the new wiring plan I'll have to run the cable under the carpet about 2 meters. I'll try to run it inbetween the floorboards. this way I would be able to reduce the length by 7meters.I hope that should be o.k

If I use BT NTE2000 extension and plug the router into filtered extension, would it be same as plugging into filtered faceplate of master socket(nte2005)

Brian69 you are right, it has earth wire. Even the drop wire looks like a flat three core electrical wire.
      Last edited by sanj; 29-09-10 at 03:16 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As long as you keep the installation nice and tidy, I don't think they would object.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Isitme I am only doing inside wiring. The replacement of jn. box and installation of master socket at new location will be done by an openreach guy and completely free of cost.
      Last edited by sanj; 29-09-10 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast