Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection speed dropped, Need help to best setup the cabling

This is a discussion on Connection speed dropped, Need help to best setup the cabling within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi My connection used to be 14mb and since i used a extension cable my connection has dropped to 9mb ...

Coopz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection speed dropped, Need help to best setup the cabling

Hi

My connection used to be 14mb and since i used a extension cable my connection has dropped to 9mb which i want to sort out so its back up to full speed

I have 1 master socket downstairs with a splitter. That has 2 extensions in taking one upstairs with a micro filter on the end and into the modem and the another into another room downstairs with another micro filter on the end and a splitter in that for the Telephone and Sky

This must be totally wrong as my speed is getting lower and lower even more so since i had to add another extension onto another room with 2 things on it

Can someone give me some advice on how to go about sorting this out?

Thanks

Edit: I made a dodgy picture to try and show what i meant
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connection speed dropped, Need help to best setup the cabling-phone-setup.jpg  
      Last edited by Coopz; 16-09-10 at 09:42 PM.

2. Advertisement
      EviLNygma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mortlake
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed dropped, Need help to best setup the cabling

With that lot in it im not surprised its been reduced.
      If you want to test it.. plug the router directly into the master socket by itself and see what speed you sync up at.. if it is still at 9mb you may need to speak to Sky and have them see if a cap has been put on the line. It may have reduced its speed due to extra noise on the line caused by all your extensions.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

For the best setup you want :-

NTE2005 fitted to the NTE5 master socket.
      If the cable is known good & twisted pair re-use, if not replace with CW1308.
      Run one pair off the UNFILTERED connections on the NTE2005 to the extension that has the router on & fit this socket (no need for plug in filters).
      For the other extension connect to the FILTERED (2,3 & 5) terminals on the NTE2005 (that extension no longer requires plug in filters).

You then have filtered/unfiltered at the master socket, ADSL is only been sent down the cable that needs it & the other extension is filtered by the NTE2005.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Of course I would just run the router off the master socket run an ethernet cable to where it needs to be and then setup a switch at the end of the cable to connect all the devices to. Least hassle and your guaranteed the best speed then!

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EviLNygma View Post
      With that lot in it im not surprised its been reduced.
      If you want to test it.. plug the router directly into the master socket by itself and see what speed you sync up at.. if it is still at 9mb you may need to speak to Sky and have them see if a cap has been put on the line. It may have reduced its speed due to extra noise on the line caused by all your extensions.
      Ill give it a go later and see if the speed goes up

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      For the best setup you want :-

NTE2005 fitted to the NTE5 master socket.
      If the cable is known good & twisted pair re-use, if not replace with CW1308.
      Run one pair off the UNFILTERED connections on the NTE2005 to the extension that has the router on & fit this socket (no need for plug in filters).
      For the other extension connect to the FILTERED (2,3 & 5) terminals on the NTE2005 (that extension no longer requires plug in filters).

You then have filtered/unfiltered at the master socket, ADSL is only been sent down the cable that needs it & the other extension is filtered by the NTE2005.
      So I will be keeping the extensions and just changing the faceplate or have i read all this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Of course I would just run the router off the master socket run an ethernet cable to where it needs to be and then setup a switch at the end of the cable to connect all the devices to. Least hassle and your guaranteed the best speed then!
      How would i do this?

Would it be just a microfilter in the master socket with the router in (still downstairs but with a ethernet cable going to the PC upstairs) and then a extension in the telephone side of the microfiler with a splitter on the end for the Phone and Sky in the other room?

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You would be keeping the extensions IF the original wiring is OK.

Re:Ethernet, if you fit a filtered faceplate to the master then connect your extensions to this you do not need filters at the other end, the router would have to plug into the master, you then need to run new Ethernet cables to where your devices are, the phones/Sky boxes use the original wiring.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You would be keeping the extensions IF the original wiring is OK
      In other words if you are using flat twin B&Q type extensions, you are going to have problems. RUNITDIRECT will fix you up with a proper twisted pair extension kit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      You would be keeping the extensions IF the original wiring is OK.

Re:Ethernet, if you fit a filtered faceplate to the master then connect your extensions to this you do not need filters at the other end, the router would have to plug into the master, you then need to run new Ethernet cables to where your devices are, the phones/Sky boxes use the original wiring.
      How do i know if the original wiring is OK?

and would this work just as well without having to get a new faceplate?

A microfilter in the master socket with the router in (still downstairs but with a ethernet cable going to the PC upstairs) and then a extension in the telephone side of the microfiler with a splitter on the end for the Phone and Sky in the other room?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you are just using plug in extensions and are prepared to place the router next to the Master socket, you do not need a faceplate. The filter must be plugged into the Master first, then any phone extensions plugged into the Phone port of the filter.

If you have extensions hard wired to the Master, ie not plugged in, then you need a faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are just using plug in extensions and are prepared to place the router next to the Master socket, you do not need a faceplate. The filter must be plugged into the Master first, then any phone extensions plugged into the Phone port of the filter.

If you have extensions hard wired to the Master, ie not plugged in, then you need a faceplate.
      Both are plugged in

Ill nip to the shop now and get a long Ethernet cable and put the router near the master socket

That sounds the easiest way to go about it all

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast