Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing NTE5 Master Socket + ADSL?

This is a discussion on Changing NTE5 Master Socket + ADSL? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have a NTE5 Master socket which i must say really needs replacing. Because it is not a BT ...

mat22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing NTE5 Master Socket + ADSL?

Hi,

I have a NTE5 Master socket which i must say really needs replacing. Because it is not a BT one i am not worried about the legal issues of replacing the whole thing because it seems someone has already messed with it way before me.

I took the face plate off and my wiring is like this:

Orange/White wire is connected to 5

Green wire 3

Blue wire 2

I want to but the Pressac NTE5 ADSL faceplate as shown here:

Pressac NTE5 compatible ADSL filtered faceplate: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If i did buy this would i connect the wires the same way on the new plate like: orange/white connect to 5, green to 3 and blue to 2 ?

I am also thinking of buying a new NTE5 master socket as shown below because my current one is in bad condition

NTE5 Master Socket - Austin Taylor version with screw: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I notice on the back there are screws with a cable underneath each screw, the wires for these are as follows:

Blue/White wire connected to screw A and the other blue/white wire connected to screw B.

Again if i buy a new one i guess i connect it the same way as the old one is connected?

My adsl modem/router is currently connected to my mastersocket using a RJ11 cable (obviously the RJ11 cable is connected to a microfilter which is connected into mastersocket).

Does anyone know if i could improve on the above, i want to get as much speed and reliablity etc as possible. I will be buying what i stated above so curious to know if i can improve on anything to make my connection as fast and reliable as possible. I here people talking about using a RJ45 CAT5 cable ( i think this is also known as a ethernet cable). Thing is i don't understand what people mean as my router has ethernet ports 4 infact and it has a RJ11 port which has a RJ11 cable coming from it to the mastersocket, people are saying you can connect the RJ45 cable into the ADSL faceplate that i am going to buy but i cant understand how as the RJ11 cable is much smallerr than the RJ45 cable, can anyone explain this to me please?

I was just going to buy this RJ11 cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Cat5-.../dp/B00006464P

Thanks
      Mat

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Changing NTE5 Master Socket + ADSL?

The wires connected to your faceplate go to your extensions. Whoever did it probably did it on a hit or miss basis. The blue/white/blue should be connected to 2 and 5 and the orange to 3. If you change these you will have to change them at the extension ends also.

I would not bother replacing your existing NTE5, the one you propose changing it with is just the same. It will not have the BT logo. You can't buy these from a retailer, the only way you will get one is from eBay, where someone is selling stolen equipment.

Connect the wires to the new plate exactly as they are on your old one. As I said, if you wanted to correct the wire colours, you would have to change your extensions as well. It is hardly worth the bother as long as your extensions are working.

The cable you link to is not an RJ11, it is a Cat5 with RJ45 connectors. Although the RJ45 will fit a filtered faceplate it will not fit the ADSL port of the router. What some do is place the router beside the master socket using a short RJ11 cable, then use a long Ethernet (RJ45) cable to connect one of the router ports to the PC. This is one of the best ways to get a good connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I thought i would just replace the mastersocket box because it is not a BT one and it is rather bad state, if i did thou could i connect it the same way as it is now with a new one? also i have been reading is it rite the green wire connected to 3 on the faceplate would be the bell wire which could also lead to interferance problems? as i would like to remove it but obviously don't want to remove the wrong wire, also when you say go to your extensions what do you mean exactly? the wires connected into the faceplate come from below the NTE5 socket as there is a little grove where the wires lead out of the master socket.

Thanks for clearing it all up for me

Thank you,
      Mat

Thanks

If you are fitting filtered faceplate you can reconnect the ring wire just as it is.

You can replace the whole box if you like, just put the wires on the new one on exactly the same terminals as they are on on the old one.

The wires from the faceplate go to the extension socket boxes which are fixed to the wall in other rooms in your house. Do you have other sockets in other rooms where you can plug the phone in?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

I have two cordless phones so only one is connected and that's connected at the moment in a microfilter with the modem then straight into the master socket as my modem is rite next to master socket.

I do have another phone socket in the bedroom but it does not work and i never used it so left it as it is. I live in a flat.

Thanks
      Mat

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If your going to buy a new socket and faceplate then I would advise getting them from run-it-direct or adslnation as they both offer the faceplates with filtered and unfilterd terminals.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      If your going to buy a new socket and faceplate then I would advise getting them from run-it-direct or adslnation as they both offer the faceplates with filtered and unfilterd terminals.
      Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have taken a look at that site, would you please mind explaining to me what the difference is between filtered and unfiltered ?

I have a laptop that i use around the flat wirelessly but my wireless router is rite next to the master socket so by using the equipment i have posted above i thought this would be fine, unless of course there is a better reason on what you have said. as one of the main reasons on doing all this is to avoid having a horrible microfilter hanging from the master socket plus to try and improve reliability and speed.

Thanks
      Mat
      Last edited by mat22; 08-09-10 at 01:35 PM.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Filtered - An Output Terminal where only the phone signal is available
      Unfiltered - An Output Terminal where both phone and ADSL signals are available.

In addition i've had a lot of problems with the solwise equipment in the past, but never any problems with the ADSLNation stuff.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

If you have only one extension and dont use it, take the wires of the faceplate and tuck them out of the way. You can still replace the faceplate for a filtered one, but apart from having a better quality filter than the Sky filter, the advantages will only be cosmetic. Filtered faceplates are only really necessary when you have one or more working extensions.

TomD

Useful Utilites