Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best wiring option?

This is a discussion on Best wiring option? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Could someone tell me my best wiring option for my router and equipment? My master socket is downstairs ...

firestarter03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Best wiring option?

Hi all,

Could someone tell me my best wiring option for my router and equipment? My master socket is downstairs but my computer and xbox 360 is upstairs in my room. Currently I have an extension in my room where my router is plugged in and my equipment is wired to. I have had to move my desk to the other side of the room so the options are:

1. Leave the router plugged in where it is and have longer netwrok cable to my xbox and pc
      2. Buy 10m of RJ11 and move my router to the desk where my xbox and pc can plug into it
      3. Plug the router into the master downstairs and buy homeplugs (although I need 2-3 ports)

I am trying to get the best out of my connection, is there a better way of doing this or have I covered all the options?

2. Advertisement
      skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Best wiring option?

deleted
      Last edited by skypaulusplus; 08-10-10 at 09:02 PM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The very best is to ALWAYS plug into the master & wire Ethernet cables from the router to your devices. If this can't be done then use an NTE2005 & the BT extension kit to get the router where you want it.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

2. Buy 10m of RJ11 and move my router to the desk where my xbox and pc can plug into it
      Provided you use good quality twisted pair cable, this is probably your cheapest way. Don't use the flat type cable in any great length, it will pick up interference. RunITDirect, a member of the forum will make you up a cable either as an RJ11 or extension.
      run-IT-direct, Custom Leads

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I may just get some high speed rj11 and move the router to my desk and look to upgrade the extension later.

One more quick question, I have noticed different types of nte5 masters. I have the one with screw terminals for the incoming line and it has a BT logo. Apparently the most up to date one is the one without screw terminals and has a bell wire filter. Does this one provide a better connection than the one I have? I have the bell wire disconnected and will be buying a filter faceplate anyway. I noticed it says this on run-it-direct:

Please note, we supply the latest version of the NTE5(A) that features the filter on the bell wire circuit for IMPROVED ADSL PERFORMANCE! NOT all versions of the NTE5 currently available feature the bell wire filter!

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One more quick question, I have noticed different types of nte5 masters. I have the one with screw terminals for the incoming line and it has a BT logo. Apparently the most up to date one is the one without screw terminals and has a bell wire filter. Does this one provide a better connection than the one I have?
      I wouldn't think so. All you need is the filtered faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

deleted
      Last edited by skypaulusplus; 08-10-10 at 09:02 PM.

Arbitron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Iit doesn't matter whether it has a bellwire filter or not. Most RJ11 Modem cables do not have the bellwire anyway (because it's cheaper), and you simply don't wire it up for any extensions.

That said, if you're going to run cables then THE fastest and most reliable option is to get a prefiltered faceplate, connect the router to the master socket and run a Cat 5e Ethernet cable to a network switch upstairs.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

The issue with the ring wire(3) only comes into play with extensions wired off the NTE5. If you have extensions then this can make a BIG difference to speed, the ADSL faceplates achieve the same as the bell wire filter so it does not matter if you have an early NTE5. No faceplate+extensions=get the latest NTE5!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I got a filtered faceplate and wired my only extension where my router plugs in to the A and B terminals. I have just realised that my rj11 won't fit into a standard telephone extension socket (as it used to fit into the microfilter but i don't need them anymore!). Do i need to buy a rj45 faceplate now? If so could someone link me to the best one to buy?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast