Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

where's all the wires?

This is a discussion on where's all the wires? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i was testing my BB speed at the master socket, and when i took the face plate off, i ...

zak08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

where's all the wires?

Hi,

i was testing my BB speed at the master socket, and when i took the face plate off, i didn't see any wires. I dunno, i was just expecting to see some wires connected to the face plate but I dont. I've attached some pictures to help explain what i mean. just wondered if this was normal? would anyone recommend replacing the faceplate to an XTE-2005 faceplate? I should say that i dont have any speed problems, i think im getting the max that my line can handle, and i do not suffer from any disconnections etc

the only issue is is that when the sky engineer came to install it, he attached a splitter/extension to the master socket (see pic) which runs through to the living room, where he then attaches the filter (and phone/router to the filter). It looks messy/inefficient if you ask me!

cheers for your opinions

z
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where's all the wires?-photo.jpg   where's all the wires?-photo-2-.jpg   where's all the wires?-photo-1-.jpg   where's all the wires?-photo_3.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: where's all the wires?

You will only have wires attached to the faceplate if you have telephone extensions wired from it.

Also you dont really want an extension cable between the master socket and filter. Best to have the filter directly in the master socket, then the router with the supplied cable. Use a long ethernet cable to get from the router to the position of the pc.

I see youve already been told this in your other post on the subject.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the router can be located near the master socket, fit a filtered faceplate and connect the router and phone extension to that.
      You can then remove the filter in the living room.
      I'd be surprised if you didn't see a speed improvement by making these changes.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I already know that having the router connected to the extension isn't best (even though, as i said, i dont have any speed issues/disconnection issues) and that the filter should be at the master socket. That wasn't really what i was curious about.

What i was wondering was, i dont see any wires connecting the faceplate to the rest of the phone socket (i was expecting to see some multi coloured wires somewhere i guess), why is this? how would i check to see if the ringer wire was still attached or not? how would i go about replacing the faceplate if i dont see any wires etc etc?

for what its worth, the router cant be located next to the master socket, and i cant have a long ethernet cable running from the master socket to the living room, as i would need one for my xbox360, blu-ray player etc and im not willing to have multiple ethernet cables running to the living room!

cheers
      z

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      You will only have wires attached to the faceplate if you have telephone extensions wired from it.

Also you dont really want an extension cable between the master socket and filter. Best to have the filter directly in the master socket, then the router with the supplied cable. Use a long ethernet cable to get from the router to the position of the pc.

I see youve already been told this in your other post on the subject.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zak08 View Post
      What i was wondering was, i dont see any wires connecting the faceplate to the rest of the phone socket (i was expecting to see some multi coloured wires somewhere i guess), why is this? how would i check to see if the ringer wire was still attached or not? how would i go about replacing the faceplate if i dont see any wires etc etc?
      As I said :-

for what its worth, the router cant be located next to the master socket, and i cant have a long ethernet cable running from the master socket to the living room, as i would need one for my xbox360, blu-ray player etc and im not willing to have multiple ethernet cables running to the living room!

cheers
      z
      I would consider hardwiring an extension to where you need the router to be using cat5e cable then. Thats what I have done and there is absolutely no difference between stats at the extension and the master. Cat5e is less susceptible to picking up interference due to it being twisted pairs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok this is gonna be a bit of a retarded question, but what connects the faceplate to the rest of the master socket?!

As you can see in one of the pictures, the one where i have the faceplate off dangling (picture 3?), there's nothing connecting the faceplate to the rest of the socket, the white cable at the bottom of the faceplate is the extension still plugged in (the splitter/extension in the front that you see in the other picture with everything all intact, i wasn't able to pull this out before taking the faceplate off strangely, its like stuck, or is in real tight).

A point to note is that speed tests carried out on the set up i have at the moment, are exactly the same stats when testing using the master socket ie no difference to the 12Mb download/ 750Kb upload speeds i get.

dholdi; not quite sure i follow you about hard wiring an extension. Do you mean hard wire a telephone extension through to the living room to where the router would be (which is in effect the same set up at the moment, only the extension isn't 'hard wired' but is plugged in at the socket)? or do you mean use a long RJ11 cable to connect the master socket/filter to the router in the living room? you mention using a cat5e (ethernet/RJ45 cable?) can you explain that a bit clearer?

cheers

z

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you don't have fixed extension wall sockets there will be no wires attached to the faceplate, therefore you have no ring wire. The faceplate picks the signal up from the Test socket, which it is plugged into, not through any wires..

You can locate the router next to the master socket and use an ethernet cable plugged into a switch, which will give you 3,4,7,or 15 usable ports where you want them.

If you have gone back to using the telephone extension with the router plugged into a filter on the end of it, you will have more problems. Although it may be OK when you first plug it in, the extension will pick up interference which will effect your broadband. If you must use a telephone extension, get a quality one constructed of twisted pairs. This will be better than the cheap extension supplied by Sky installers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

dholdi; not quite sure i follow you about hard wiring an extension. Do you mean hard wire a telephone extension through to the living room to where the router would be (which is in effect the same set up at the moment, only the extension isn't 'hard wired' but is plugged in at the socket)?
      Yes thats what I have meant, although you could do it the way Tom (Isitme) has suggested with a switch. That would be slightly more expensive though.

you mention using a cat5e (ethernet/RJ45 cable?) can you explain that a bit clearer?

cheers

z
      Basically you would wire another socket outlet in your living room from the faceplate at the existing master socket, using terminals 2 & 5 at both ends. You can get unterminated cat5e cable ( I get it foc from a source ) fairly cheaply and as it is twisted pair will not pick up interference that standard phone cable will.
      If you cant source unterminated then just get some like this and chop the plugs off. You will need a punch down tool to terminate it in the sockets but these are also pennies.
      Have a search for runitdirect on here who sells everything you would need.

Exchange:
      Thanks

as an alternative to your suggestion about using the cat5e cable, would using a long RJ11 cable to connect the master socket (with filter) in my hall, to the router in the living room, be any good? would it pick up less interference than a normal telephone extension cable?

thanks

z

Yes thats what I have meant, although you could do it the way Tom (Isitme) has suggested with a switch. That would be slightly more expensive though.

Basically you would wire another socket outlet in your living room from the faceplate at the existing master socket, using terminals 2 & 5 at both ends. You can get unterminated cat5e cable ( I get it foc from a source ) fairly cheaply and as it is twisted pair will not pick up interference that standard phone cable will.
      If you cant source unterminated then just get some like this and chop the plugs off. You will need a punch down tool to terminate it in the sockets but these are also pennies.
      Have a search for runitdirect on here who sells everything you would need.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Provided it is of good quality twisted pair cable an RJ11 from the router to the Master socket will work OK. Keep it as short as possible, say 10-12M maximum and you will get very little speed loss. I actually have a 7.5M RJ11 and it gives exactly the same performance as the Sky supplied one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast