Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line connection fault PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on Line connection fault PLEASE HELP! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok so 3 weeks ago i moved house and moved my sky package to my new house. sky said it ...

spinks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Line connection fault PLEASE HELP!

ok so 3 weeks ago i moved house and moved my sky package to my new house. sky said it was going to take 2 weeks to send an engineer. the engineer never turned up so i called up sky and they decided to not send an engineer on the day we agreed because they could do it remotely which was annoying considering i had to take the day off work to wait for an engineer.

Anyway they turned the line on on thursday and since then i have had many conversations with technical support and they told me to wait till 12 o'clock and it'll be turned on. So this morning after it still not been turned on sky did a line test and told me the line was actually turned on on thursday and i now apparently have a fault with a socket or wireing . it might cost upto 170 for sky to come out and replace my master socket which is a bt openreach socket split in half with a tester socket underneath if that makes sense.

I changed the master socket for the 2nd socket in the house and this made no difference to the line.

Is my best option to buy and fit a new master socket or am i wasting my time and after sky telling me the fault is so many differnt things i dont really know what to believe first it was the line not connected then bt apparently had a fault and now its my sockets?

my house is only 3 years old in a new build in leeds and the people who lived there before said their phone line and internet was fine so why cant i even get a dial tone?

Any help would be fantastic

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Line connection fault PLEASE HELP!

The master socket is BT's property and legally you are not supposed to touch it.
      Have you tried connecting a phone to the test socket?
      If that fails Sky need to arrange for it to be fault found and it should not cost you anything,

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

it might cost upto 170 for sky to come out and replace my master socket which is a bt openreach socket split in half with a tester socket underneath if that makes sense.
      That is a scare tactic to fob you off. If the Master socket is faulty, BTO will replace it free. Plug into the Test socket, as suggested, and try it from there. If it still fails it is a line or router fault which Sky should get repaired.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Arbitron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is a scare tactic to fob you off.
      It's a legal requirement for them to warn people about havig to pay the BT call-out charges if customer apparatus is faulty, and it's more than their jobs worth not to say it, as some people will lie about disconnectiong everything and connecting to the test socket, and then refuse to pay when they get told they've bad wiring in the house. If he's done what they told him to, then there's nothing to worry about as everything is the responsibility of either Sky or BT.

That said, if spinks hasn't checked in the test socket, swapped the microfilter out, disconnected the phones etc, then he should do so immediately.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^
      That may be so, but I don't think you have read the thread. The Poster is not complaining about a fault, he is complaining about not having a service at all, which Sky are supposed to have supplied. They should be sending an engineer to the premises to check that the line is installed properly, not making financial threats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.