Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Tip : Router on Extension

This is a discussion on Tip : Router on Extension within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If (like me) you have to have your router at the end of a phone extension for positioning reasons, here ...

JackSparrow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tip : Router on Extension

If (like me) you have to have your router at the end of a phone extension for positioning reasons, here is a handy hint that could improve your ADSL speeds.

I am on Unlimited and about 3km from the exchange. I was getting about 5100kbps downstream at most until today.

When I plugged the router into the test socket (advice on how to do this elsewhere here) I was topping 8100kbps.

From reading elsewhere I found that "bellwire", sometimes used in older extensions can reduce speeds dramatically by creating interference on the line.

I simply removed the bellwire, which is the wire in number 3 from the faceplate end where the extension cable starts. Instantly my speed has improved to 7800kbps, meaning the loss caused solely by the extension is only about 300kbps.

It's as simple as removing the faceplate on the master socket, carefully removing the wire in number 3 to the extension and screwing it back on. Obviously not every extension is the same, but if it is simply 1 extension wire runnning from the master socket to another socket, it should be quite easy.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Tip : Router on Extension

Or you could have the router near the faceplate and use a long ethernet cable or use homeplugs, much better than using phone line extentions.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Tip : Router on Extension

Sky User - How to remove the ring wire from your master socket

Although we'd always recommend fitting the latest NTE5 with the bell wire filter so you get the benefit but leave the wiring intact.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.