Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old BT master socket - no test socket

This is a discussion on Old BT master socket - no test socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was wondering if anyone has had my problem and also the best way to deal with it? I have ...

littlerichard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Old BT master socket - no test socket

I was wondering if anyone has had my problem and also the best way to deal with it?

I have a BT land line and have for yonks, and still pay them for phone line rental.

BT changed the sockets about 20 years ago for the main socket and the extension to a room upstairs.
      The master socket near the door does not have a test socket like on the NTE5. Instead it's a smaller sized boxed with many internal cables connected. (The faceplate with 2 screws which removes the whole top). I think that the phone extension runs off this as well.

Now my question:

I also have had Sky broadband for a few years now. But at a very low connection speed. BT speed checker says I 'could' get up to 8Mb now. But a couple of years back Sky tier 3 said the max was 1Mb. I currently get 0.5Mb

I now have a ticket number again from sky for tier 3, and they said they would call in 72 hrs. They haven't.

I have also had 4 routers and about 8 filters from the lower tier people over the years. Silly.

So. Is it worth my while to keep on at Sky to try and sort this out, or go to BT direct to update my internal wiring? I know because I do not have broadband from them - it would cost me but would this solve my problem?

I have done a line test through BT online and there is no problem with my (phone - calls) line. Who would have to pay to update my internal wiring set up? Me I guess. But what if the problem is between the house and the exchange?

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Old BT master socket - no test socket

Why should Sky sort out your internal wiring? BT will charge to come out and do it too, you could in theory fit your own NT5E plate ( I had to do it myself too) without too much fuss if you are adept with a screwdriver.
      Once the NT5E plate is installed, if the issue is still there you could test in the test socket and it would show the issue to be between the exchange and your house, Sky could send OpenReach in to look at it. Without a test socket there is always the risk that OpenReach could blame internal wiring and send a bill.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As Paul says, Sky are not to blame for your poor wiring, your best soloution would be to replace the junction box with a new NTE5 socket and then fit a filtered faceplate to that, this will give your broadband the best connection you can get from your premesis.

It is not a difficult job and will cost around 20 for the parts. You could also remove any unused phone sockets at this time.

If BT come out you always run the risk of being billed.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As above replace the existing socket with an NTE5, also consider a filtered faceplate. If once all the internal wiring is isolated you still have issues then you can get Openreach involved(via Sky).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Yorkieair is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moortown
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

As others have explained it is quite easy to install a modern master socket with filtered face plate but if it may not make any difference.

My BT installation was pre internet with the drop wire to an outside box from which BT had daisy chained connections to 3 sockets, from which incidentally the connection speeds were identical.

Eventually joined cut the system short and fitted a new short drop cable length to the nearest socket point and fitted new master with faceplate, reconnected existing sockets in effect in reverse.

Result absolutely no change in connection speed. Some satisfaction that results down to the line and not influenced by 35 year old in house wiring set up which was obviously still up to the job.

littlerichard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

Thanks for you replies.

I know I would have to pay to get BT 's internal wiring upgraded. I never expect Sky to do this for me. My question was should I get Sky to organise sending an engineer out, or get someone from BT myself to do it?

As my BT phone line has no faults and just slow speeds on Broadband, it is very likely that this will solve the problem, but be expensive. I wouldn't know how to set up a new master socket and have a hardwired extension to another room. (which is the existing setup).

Either way, even if I do it myself, updating the internal setup seems the best route of action.

I can then check the speed with Sky through the NTE5 socket and if there is a problem outside of the house, it would be up to them to try and fix it.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Sort the internal wiring, repost stats and then people can advise, for the price of BT Openreach coming out to replace the main socket you could rewire all your sockets.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkieair View Post
      Result absolutely no change in connection speed. Some satisfaction that results down to the line and not influenced by 35 year old in house wiring set up which was obviously still up to the job.
      Your connection was probably capped so you wouldnt get an increase in connection speed when they did any wiring work. Your stats would probably indicate an increase in noise margin and thus a higher potential speed.
      To the OP could we see your current stats from the router as it gives us an idea of the line length and how much speed you should be getting.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Yorkieair is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moortown
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Your connection was probably capped so you wouldnt get an increase in connection speed when they did any wiring work. Your stats would probably indicate an increase in noise margin and thus a higher potential speed.
      To the OP could we see your current stats from the router as it gives us an idea of the line length and how much speed you should be getting.
      Please be advised that you are completely wrong - No change as previously stated!

System Up Time: 167:53:19 (WAN 167:52:00) - @ 11:10 on Wed 11/08/10
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 13 db

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkieair View Post
      Please be advised that you are completely wrong - No change as previously stated!

System Up Time: 167:53:19 (WAN 167:52:00) - @ 11:10 on Wed 11/08/10
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 13 db
      Like you I had no NTE5 socket but did get better speeds. However like others have said I installed an NTE5 and an ADSL Nations Faceplate (total cost under 20) and found my Noise Margin doubled. This allowed Sky to run DLM on my line and I finished up with a Speed of over 16 MB/sec with the Noise Margin reducing to 6 db. Fitting an NTE5 box is an absolute necessity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast