Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds?

This is a discussion on external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi first post, got to say this is a great forum and i've already learned a lot by lurking about ...

ThEgOg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds?

hi

first post, got to say this is a great forum and i've already learned a lot by lurking about reading here and there.

i've just moved in to a new build with an external nte grey box, i have one phone socket in the lounge and one in the master bedroom.

from what i've read about dlm i've pretty much buggered this up as i've been moving the router between the two, so i'll hopefully ring sky at the end and get them to manually set my speed.

i'm getting 2 meg in the master bedroom, and 1.5 in the lounge (which is closest to the nte). not sure whats going on there.

anyway, for optimum speeds would i be better off tracing (not sure how i'd do this) the first socket from the nte, and replacing that with an nte5 box? as per this thread here

many thanks for your time.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds?

As you seem to have already worked out the best option is to find the first socket off the external nte and replace it with an nte5 and fit a filtered faceplate on this. If both your extensions are wired from the external nte however you'll have to look at moving one of the cables into the place where you will be installing the nte5 or you'll get no benefit.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      If both your extensions are wired from the external nte however you'll have to look at moving one of the cables into the place where you will be installing the nte5 or you'll get no benefit.
      do you mean if both are daisy chain wired from one connection (from what ive read i believe there are 2 in the ext nte?) ?

also do you know of a way of finding out which is the first socket? as the one that i imagined would be (lounge) is getting a slower speed?

many thanks for the help

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Remove the face off the sockets, if there is only one wire in exch then they are both wired back to the external NTE.

If one has two wires then this is the first socket as the second wire runs down to the second one etc.

Chances are they both run to the NTE, if this is the case then you will need to remove one of the cables from it (trial and error to get the furthers one out) and extend it to reach the nearest socket and put the filtered faceplate on there.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThEgOg View Post
      hi

anyway, for optimum speeds would i be better off tracing (not sure how i'd do this) the first socket from the nte, and replacing that with an nte5 box? as per this thread here

many thanks for your time.
      Quite simply-Yes! Your speeds changing may be just because DLM is running.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers for all the replies guys

right i've looked behind the two phone sockets and one has two wires connected, and the other has 6 wires connected?

frustratingly what appears to be my forst socket is in the master bedroom next to the bed, rather than the one in the lounge:-/

heres a couple of pics.

bedroom

lounge

is it right i should have 6 wires connected in the bedroom one?

thanks again

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Before going any further, check in the external NTE (XNTE) that there is only one set of wires connected.
      There should be just one wire in each of the customer terminals, the ones marked 2 5 and 3.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Yep do as Brian says but it does look like the feed from the XNTE goes to the bedroom and then off to the lounge....

6 wires connected makes no difference, only 3 are actually used, the others are just in for neatness.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you are going to need one of these, not an NTE5 -
      XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

(Sorry Runit can't find one on your site although I am sure you will have them)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

That would certianly work, but I must admit I prefer a NTE-5 and a filter faceplate because you then get a test socket and if for no other reason it will keep your ISP happy when they ask you to connect to it.
      I do understand that it can lead to confusion over demarcation points (which is the XNTE and not the NTE-5).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast