Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds?

This is a discussion on external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by AlexS Since the OP already has an external NTE, wouldn't it be easier to fit a couple ...

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: external nte grey box, what are my options for optimum connection speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      Since the OP already has an external NTE, wouldn't it be easier to fit a couple of filtered sockets like ADSL nation XTF-85's ?
      If the unfiltered inputs were used on these units, ( minus the ring wire ) either socket could be used for the router couldn't it ?
      Just seems like a neater solution to me.
      The main point in installing the NTE5 is to get a test socket so BT dont try and sting you a callout charge for an internal wiring fault that you cant check. In addition you want to stop the broadband signal from going down to further extensions as you would introduce additional noise.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

2. Advertisement
      ThEgOg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

with a help from Brian (cheers mate) i've decided to go with an nte-5 with filtered faceplate in the bedroom then run the router from there somewhere. may have to go in the wardrobe (don't think that'll do my wifi any good though:-/)

heres my stats off the sagem router sky provided and also from my old netgear 834g, they
      appear to be slightly different?

Sagem

Netgear

from that the netgear looks better, is that right?

or should i start a new thread on this?

thanks again guys

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would say there is very little difference, if anything the Sagem is better. You have a better connection speed with the Sagem, the 0.5dbs difference in noise margin will make little difference. Ignore the attenuation, different routers will show different figures, although a difference of 4.5dbs is unusual.

Can you confirm that these are with the extension wires removed?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi yes sorry the extension wires are disconnected.

i've taken another 2 scans with each of the routers connected.

sagem

netgear

the upstream attenuation seems to be double on the sagem? also aren't the noise margin settings just rounded up on the netgear??

i've only been connected since monday so could the speed differences be because of dlm?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Since seeing the photos of the telephone sockets, I have been trying to remember where I have seen this type before ( they are non-standard if you look) and I think they contain a noise filter, they are for use in industrial premsis, where electrical noise could be a problem. They may affect Broadband, but I cannot be certain, however we will soon know one the NTE / filter faceplate goes on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

the upstream attenuation seems to be double on the sagem? also aren't the noise margin settings just rounded up on the netgear??
      From what I have seen the upstream noise margin is usually just over half of the downstream, so I would say the Netgear is not reading it properly for some reason, or your downstream attenuation is wrong. A difference of 4 dbs could make more than 1 Mb difference in the speed on your line. My Netgear(V1) reads to decimal places so I think yours should too if it is working properly.

Brian could very well be correct, he usually is. If your sockets are effecting your signal a standard socket could make a big difference. About 3 at B & Q till you get hold of an NTE5.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

quick update, i've installed a modified nte5 (cheers Brian) and a filter faceplate from adsl nation.

it doesn't appear to have made a great deal of difference to be honest.

DSL Upstream Rate: 604 Kbps
      DSL Downstream Rate: 2046 Kbps

Down up
      DSL Noise Margin: 6.9 dB 10.6 dB
      DSL Attenuation: 64.0 dB 37.7 dB
      DSL Transmit Power: 17.6 dBm 12.6 dBm

for info i've since changed to a linksys wireless n router if that makes any difference.

what i have noticed is my ping on speedtest.net seemed to be a fair biut faster to my nearest server, so i've been running ping tests at pingtest.net at various times through the evening.

when i started i was getting an A rating with 1-2 jitter, about an hour later i started getting a B rating with 70ms of jitter.

basically its fluctuating between what it says is an excellent connection and a poor one, is this normal of do i have a problem somewhere?

Exchange:
      Thanks

this is what i'm getting now, the ping to the same server was nearer 60 before.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The problem is using speedtest.net, it is widely accepted as being highly inaccurace.

For speed testing use the SkyUser one and for pings pick a well known server with plenty of bandwidth, ie BBC.co.uk or Google.com and then ping them from the command line.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123