Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BT iPlate Speed Enhancer

This is a discussion on BT iPlate Speed Enhancer within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey Thanks for reading my thread, I was just wondering, if I install a BT iPlate when can I start ...

SiNGhKiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT iPlate Speed Enhancer

Hey Thanks for reading my thread,
      I was just wondering, if I install a BT iPlate when can I start seeing results. Now if you're a BT customer - which I'm not - BT automatically test your line again or something like that. Will sky also re-test my line after I've installed the iPlate or will I have to ask them to. I will be recieveing it either today or tomorrow. Should I just phone them up and explain to them that I have installed a BT iPlate and I would like my line to be tested?

Thanks,

P.S Does anybody know how long it takes for the BT iPlate to reach fully optimized speeds?

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: BT iPlate Speed Enhancer

Select Brian Blessed mode:-The iplate is a waste of space and money.
      If you don't have telephone extensions it wont make a jot of difference to your Internet speed.
      If you do have extensions the same result can be achieved by undoing the faceplate on your master socket and carefully removing any wires connected to pin 3 (the bell wire)

I thank you

PS. If you post your router statistics we can see if your line is capped.
      If not and you do as above with your extentions then you should see any improvement immediately.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

The BT i-plate just removes the ring wire from your setup, something you can do by just pulling it out.

What you really need to optimise your ADSL is a filtered faceplate, this will isolate all your internal wiring (if you have any) and give you the best case senario connection.

You can get your best stats by using the TEST socket, the filtered faceplate will then allow you to keep these stats all the time and any extra speed that comes with it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you do have extensions you would have been far better fitting a filtered faceplate rather than believing BTs hype about their iPlate. If you don't have extensions, you are just wasting your money fitting either.

Has your eyesight deteriorated badly or have you just found you can format the text on the forum? Either way, please refrain from using oversize and bold text unless you want to emphasise a point, many will not even bother to answer a query formatted like your post. This is not your first post so you should be aware that it is completely unnecessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The I Plate(now Broad Band Accelerator) does NOT simply remove the ring wire, it filters it by way of an inductor (which is now fitted to the latest NTE5's as standard). It also features the same component as the BT 80B RF3 which can help line stability (as proven by BT's tests & our own customer feeback). The bell wire filter can make a big difference in speed IF you have extensions, no extensions=no change in speed (as BT will tell you). A filtered faceplate with give the same benefits as the bell wire filter with the addition of centralised filtering (so no plug in filters on extensions) but will not have any impact on line stability (fit a BT 80B RF3 in addtion if line drop outs are an issue, note this is quite rare).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Okay thanks guys. I do have and sometimes use extensions. and I do have a NTE5 Socket. I just installed the iPlate it today and I've already tried using the test socket a while back but i pulled the wires out. I fixed just buy lining up the wires plugging it in and hoping for the best. I'm not that good with telephone sockets at the moment but my line attention as decrease the slightest bit (I'll wait 1 week for it to full sync with my line). For some strange reason BT can only give my upto 1.5Mb. Even though after I complained to Sky about my 0.8Mb speed they tested my line again and they gave me 2Mb for about 6 hours then decided to give my 1.1Mb because BT said that my line can only support 1.5Mb. I live "4724 kilometres" away from the Exchange (according to Sky). Then my speed dropped to 0.35Mb! Which REALLY annoyed me. I thought I'd try the iPlate seeing as I'm not that good when it comes to sockets. I'm only 13 lol my line attention is at 64dB. Hopefully it will decrease. Sky said they would be testing my line soon. So hopefully the will overnight. Fingers Crossed
      Last edited by SiNGhKiNG; 26-07-10 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks

If you do have extensions you would have been far better fitting a filtered faceplate rather than believing BTs hype about their iPlate. If you don't have extensions, you are just wasting your money fitting either.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Has your eyesight deteriorated badly or have you just found you can format the text on the forum? Either way, please refrain from using oversize and bold text unless you want to emphasise a point, many will not even bother to answer a query formatted like your post. This is not your first post so you should be aware that it is completely unnecessary.
      This made me laugh
      I just thought I would. I like it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      [PS. If you post your router statistics we can see if your line is capped.
      If not and you do as above with your extentions then you should see any improvement immediately.
      Here are my router statistics: (I've complained about my 0.35Mb Speed cap)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 384 kbps 442 kbps
      Line Attenuation 64.0 db 40.7 db
      Noise Margin 16.6 db 11.5 db
      Last edited by SiNGhKiNG; 27-07-10 at 10:50 AM.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiNGhKiNG View Post
      (I've complained about my 0.35Mb Speed cap)
      You're capped at 384/448 adsl2plus. What did sky say when you complained - did they not uncap the speed?

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Indeed, your line should be capable of around 2Mbps, I'm afraid you will have to get back on to Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast