Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noise Margin / errors help

This is a discussion on Noise Margin / errors help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm currently on sky broadband Mid, and have been capped at 1.5Meg since May. I'm currently trying to figure ...

richbeales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01843
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Noise Margin / errors help

Hi, I'm currently on sky broadband Mid, and have been capped at 1.5Meg since May. I'm currently trying to figure out how to fix this and why it's happening. Sky say it's capped there due to a large number of errors on the line. I'm running out of ideas as to why, here's what i've got:

1) I've got a single NTE style master socket. My results are the same whether using the test socket or not.
      2) Netgear v1 white ADSL router plugged in through an ADSLnation high-quality filter, with a single downstairs telephone
      3) One extension upstairs with no phone plugged in (I've now plugged in a filter to this socket anyway just to be sure - is this necessary?)
      4) BT iPlate fitted to master socket

Here's what I've tried:

I've looked at the BT junction box inside the front door, which although slightly corroded doesn't look too bad. I've got what looks like Cat5 running between this junction box and the master socket (~3 metres). I've tried a quiet line test (17070 option 4) and it comes back and says "some echo and very little noise, you may have a problem with your line". This result is the same in test socket and plugged in normally.

The problem I've got is obviously the cap, and the errors. I've also noticed that my Noise Margin as reported in the stats can go from 0.3dB to 25dB, normally 7-10dB, but I'm not sure it should be jumping around like that. It's quite windy outside today (?) Line attenuation is 51-52dB so should be able to get ~4-4.5MBps if the noise margin wasn't so crazy.

I've tried wiggling / replacing various cables and connections (and unplugging telephone) to try to get this noise margin to change at will, but it seems to be random.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks, Rich.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Noise Margin / errors help

If the noise margin is fluctuating that much then there is something seriously wrong with your line and you should get BT out to fix it provided that this occurs also in the test socket.
      If you have the extension upstairs connected to an ADSLNation or similar ADSL faceplate on your master socket then no you dont need a filter on it.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richbeales View Post
      1) I've got a single NTE style master socket. My results are the same whether using the test socket or not.
      2) Netgear v1 white ADSL router plugged in through an ADSLnation high-quality filter, with a single downstairs telephone
      3) One extension upstairs with no phone plugged in (I've now plugged in a filter to this socket anyway just to be sure - is this necessary?)
      4) BT iPlate fitted to master socket
      Sounds like you have issues with the line which will need BT/OR to sort out but I'd replace the iPlate/existing plug in filter with an Openreach ADSL faceplate. That way the extension wiring is isolated away from the ADSL signal. The iPlate will filter the bell wire on this extension but you still have the ADSL pair running where you do not need it which it could pick up noise.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One extension upstairs with no phone plugged in (I've now plugged in a filter to this socket anyway just to be sure - is this necessary?)
      Is this extension connected to the faceplate of the NTE5 or plugged into its face?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Looks like 4 wires go upstairs from inside the Master socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Looks like 4 wires go upstairs from inside the Master socket.
      In that case they are probably incorrectly connected. Remove the backplate of the NTE5 and see if they are connected to the A-B terminals. These are the main terminals and only the incoming line should be connected to them. If they are connected there it probably accounts for some of the prblems you are having.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I'm still getting loads of errors in the detailed stats:

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5330628
      CRC = 3856
      LOS = 22
      LOF = 17
      ES = 167

I've taken the back off the master socket, and the "blue" pair seem correctly installed to the A-B terminals, with the four wires going upstairs from the "front" part of the faceplate.

I've done several quiet line checks and all say "very little noise" but "some echo", I don't want to get charged by BT for a visit, but I don't think there's much more I can do internally. How do I go about getting this sorted/looked at? Do I have to get Sky to get BT out? What do I need to do to convince sky?

Downstream SNR is currently 9.4dB, but at current sync speed I think it should be >20.

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.4 15.9
      Attn(dB): 51.5 32.4
      Pwr(dBm): 16.8 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 5012 941
      Rate (Kbps): 1530 604

Thanks all.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Thanks

If your receiving these problems from the test socket then the ONLY thing it can be is a line fault on BT's side and you wont get charged for them to sort it out. Remember the test socket is where BT becomes responsible for faults. You can get SKY to book a call with BT to sort it or you can phone BT directly to sort it out.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As Simon says if this is present in the test socket then you have done all you can, it's down to BT/OPenreach to sort out.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It would be worth removing the faceplates and taking a couple of pictrues to post here and also the junction box.

As stated, chances are the line is at fault but it will do no harm in letting us see the wiring etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast