Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noise Margin / errors help

This is a discussion on Noise Margin / errors help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was told by a Sky advisor that a customer would NEVER get charged for a broadband engineer visit. Apparently ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Noise Margin / errors help

I was told by a Sky advisor that a customer would NEVER get charged for a broadband engineer visit. Apparently it is possible to get charged for a telephone engineer visit, but that is a very different thing.

At one point I was quoted some script off a card before they organised an engineer visit, stating that I may get charged if they found it was my own equipment that was at fault, but I was told later that this was because they had arranged for a telephone engineer by mistake (apparently the order codes in the Sky computer systems are very similar).

If you are worried, simply ask when you speak to the person who can arrange the engineer visit (it is a very specific team who can do this, so they know more about it - don't bother asking the first person who picks up the phone).

Basically, you're in the test socket - the only possible failures your end are the filter (try a couple of different ones), the wire from the filter to the router, and the router.

2. Advertisement
      richbeales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01843
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

In case it helps anyone else, I've written a quick Python script (see attached, knock off the ".txt") to output the in-depth router stats to a text file. This script can then be set up to run periodically (e.g. hourly using windows scheduled tasks or unix cron), to see how your stats vary over time.

Credit to Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk for the original webpage technique.

Thanks for all your help so far. From looking at stats from the last few days it seems that a vast number of CRC errors are occurring in a small period of time, i'm just trying to track down when and what might be happening at the time.

Photos attached also.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noise Margin / errors help-4069793.jpg   Noise Margin / errors help-4069797.jpg  
      Attached Files Attached Files

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There are gel crimps in there which suggest something is not straight forward on the wiring, can you take a picture of the junction box where the BT cable is coming in?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

richbeales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01843
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Strangely no errors so far today (although noise margin still just 8dB). Pic attached as requested.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noise Margin / errors help-4100876.jpg  

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Theres a lot of corrosion on that terminal box I wouldnt be surprised if that is part of your problem. Depending on how conveniently located that box is i would be thinking about removing it and having the master socket there instead of that!
      I recently did an upgrade like this for a friend of mine and he got another 2mb sync speed out of it and hasnt had any disconnections since it was fitted up with an NTE5 along with a filtered faceplate and his box wasnt in a bad condition!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12