Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Connection - Faceplate?

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection - Faceplate? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been having problems with my internet connection for some time. After the first three Openreach engineers had been out, ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection - Faceplate?

I've been having problems with my internet connection for some time. After the first three Openreach engineers had been out, they traced it to a faulty port on the card at the exchange and carried out a "lift and shift". The connection was fine for nearly 2 weeks, and then intermittent disconnections started again.

The last Openreach engineer that came out suggested that it was my faceplate (actually ALL engineers suggest it is my faceplate, because I'm using the ADSL Nation XTE-2005, and none of them like it - I assume because its unfamiliar to them).

He suggested that the previous faults I had, which were proven to be outside the property, had been fixed, and that I am now suffering from a completely new problem.

Since he left, I've had the router in the test socket for about 4 days with no disconnections and no problems. Then I replaced my faceplate, plugged my router directly into that (rather than an extension). I had no problems for over 24 hours - indeed the noise margin improved - but then early this morning disconnections started and my connection speed reduced. My CRC/ES were in the 100's per 15 mins, whereas prior to this, both with and without the faceplate, they were either zero or just single figures.

The connection seems to have settled down again for now, although the errors are showing slightly higher than normal:

Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55761
      CRC = 33
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 22

My question is, is it possible for the faceplate to cause this sort of random disconnection, or if it failed, would it be more consistent?

I'm going to be monitoring it for a bit, then reconnecting back to the test socket, but the problem with random problems is its difficult to track down. During these last couple of months there have been times where I have had no disconnections for days on end, in the test socket, and then for it to suddenly go mad and disconnect constantly. But I have been told that that problem was fixed so I have to basically start from scratch.

Edit:
      Errors seem back to normal now, in the faceplate:
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55761
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Last edited by Stumpy; 01-06-10 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added more info

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Connection - Faceplate?

I think it is far more likely to be a line fault, however to be sure you need to leave the router connected to the test socket without a filter faceplate just using a plug in filter, and see what happens.