Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Weird coloured cabling

This is a discussion on Weird coloured cabling within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been told that some of the problems I may have been having recently with my internet connection could be ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Weird coloured cabling

I've been told that some of the problems I may have been having recently with my internet connection could be to do with my faceplate. I'm using the ADSL Nation faceplate which I've had for about 2 years with no problems, but if it is causing problems now, it is more than likely due to the amount of times it has been on and off the master socket recently.

Anyway, each of the Openreach engineers who have been out (4 so far now) have claimed never to have seen this type of faceplate before (ie, the ones where there are "A" and "B" connections as well for an ADSL extension), and all of them have been quick to condemn it.

The last engineer who came was so convinced that my faceplate was to blame, that he left me two of the BT faceplates.

Today I thought I'd have a go at swapping them around, just to see if it made any difference.

The first one that I tried, was broken. Simply plugging it into the test socket with no extension cables connected created a very loud buzzing on the telephone, and it refused to even register an ADSL signal.

The second one seemed okay with the telephone and passed that test, however, I wasn't sure about the wiring colours. The wiring colours that the instructions referred to were:

Blue to 2
      Brown to 3
      Orange to 5

However, my wires are coloured (and were connected to the connector numbers in the ADSL Nation faceplate) as follows:

Red to 2 (with the extension at A)
      Yellow to 3
      Blue to 5 (with the extension on B)

Now when I changed the original faceplate to the ADSL Nation one originally, although the colours didn't match the instructions, there was also the instruction to copy "like for like", ie, whatever wire was in connector 2, goes to connector 2 in the new faceplate, etc, which worked.

However, when I tried that with this BT Faceplate I obviously had wired something incorrectly as the telephones just started ringing continuously.

For now I have reconnected my original faceplate, and I'm keeping an eye on it - and I will probably simply buy another ADSL Nation one as I can then wire like to like, and also the BT one had no way of extending the ADSL connection to my extension - but could someone explain why my wires appear to be different from the standard (the house isn't THAT old - approximately 15 years) and which of my wires should be considered as which standard colour?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Weird coloured cabling

Whatever the wire colours are , the important thing is that the terminals are connected like for like, 2 to 2, 3 to3, 5 to 5. so if you are in any doubt check the connections at your extension sockets and note what colours are connected to what terminals.

Standard colours are (pre 1980 wiring) Blue to 2, Brown to 3 Orange to 5

Wire colours now Blue/white to 2 Orange/white to 3 White/blue to 5

Your colours of red yellow blue indicate you are prob using incorrect cable, but it does not matter too much as it is on the filtered output and will not affect your broadband.

Ther terminals marked A and B on the filter faceplate are used for a ADSL extension, and good cable should be used for this (cat5 is ideal) Blue/white connects to B. White/blue connects to A

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Whatever the wire colours are , the important thing is that the terminals are connected like for like, 2 to 2, 3 to3, 5 to 5. so if you are in any doubt check the connections at your extension sockets and note what colours are connected to what terminals.
      Hmmm .. well that was the assumption I made, and used that when changing from the ADSL Nation faceplate to the BT one, however, once I plugged my telephone back into the extension telephone socket (via a filter) it just started ringing continuously .... annnnd I've just had a thought --- should I not have had the filter on it? The BT faceplate doesn't have the ADSL-extending connectors, which therefore means, I assume, that all the extensions are telephone only - therefore will not need a filter? Is that perhaps why the telephones reaction that way?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There is nothing complex about this. If you have connected up a filter faceplate to your extension wiring, using the numbered terminals then all the extensions are for telephone only and do not require a filter.

If a telephone rings all the time, then you have not connected the extension correctly. Check the colours at the extension and connect the same colours to the same numbers at the filter faceplate

Thanks

Okeydoke - I'll check that if I have the same problem next time, but I'm not going to use of the BT faceplates. I swapped the cables like for like, several times, using the correct connection method, and it was only on the BT faceplate that I had that problem.

So either the second BT faceplate was also faulty, or the wires were not a straight "like for like" connection between that and the ADSL Nation one.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Telephones ringing all of the time means you have 2 connected to 5 and vice versa from the master to an extension. This can happen as there are two wiring standards-the difference is 2 & 5 are swapped!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Ahhhhh - thank you!

I'm currently back on the original ADSL Nation faceplate that I was told by Openreach was possibly faulty, and so far no problems (in fact, better than directly into the test socket, marginally). But it is early days yet ... I may buy a new one as a backup anyway.