Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Test/master socket help.

This is a discussion on Test/master socket help. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Help needed! Firstly, apologies if this has been answered somewhere else. If it has a link would be excellent! I'm ...

JamesT67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Test/master socket help.

Help needed!

Firstly, apologies if this has been answered somewhere else. If it has a link would be excellent!

I'm getting a speed of 1.5mb coming from my master socket. I tried out the test socket out of curiosity today, to find it getting 5.8mb. I know the test socket is always going to be faster than the master socket, but is there usually such a big dropoff?

Are there any tricks to boost the speed coming from the master socket? I've noticed a lot of talk of pre-filtered plates, but that seems to be for extension sockets only... or am I missing something?

The extra 4.3mb would be quite welcome for streaming video and big downloads, as while 1.5 does the job, it barely does it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Advertisement
      SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Thanks

Re: Test/master socket help.

Hi James, I'm no professional but i'm 'guessing' a filtered face plate would help but just to be sure don't listen to me haha. Wait until someone more qualified to help you comes along but going by what I have read on this forum I would say you need a filtered face plate.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Read the thread "Does LLU affect line speed?" page 2 of todays posts.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Prefiltered faceplate will give you the same speeds you get in the test socket.

For you to get such poor speeds in the master socket would lead me to believe you
      you have extensions connected to the back of your standard BT faceplate, if so do you even
      use these sockets if not you will get the same results just pulling the cabling out of the faceplate then screwing it back on.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you plug the router into the master anyway just get an NTE2005 ADSL faceplate, this will ensure what you get in the test socket is what you get when all your extensions are connected. If you want to plug the router into an extension you can still get good speeds but we need to know how many extensions you have & how it is wired, pictures of the rear of the faceplate would help. If you have no extensions then your NTE5 is faulty, either replace like for like or fit the ADSL faceplate. Sometimes the rear half of the NTE5 is at fault so replacing the front lower half does not cure the fault.

BTW, the test socket is only faster than the front when things haven't been optimised or you have a fault!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.