Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

This is a discussion on Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am looking into getting a sky+ box upstairs and I have an extension socket upstairs connected to the master ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

I am looking into getting a sky+ box upstairs and I have an extension socket upstairs connected to the master socket downstairs.

At the moment, the ext socket is disconnected from the master socket as it was affecting my speeds when it was connected (even when I was not even using the ext socket). When I duplicate the 2 and 5 wires downstairs to the A & B wires upstairs, my line speed drops from 4.5 meg to 2.5 meg which is precisely the reason I took them out in the first place.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening as at the moment, the upstairs ext socket is useless and means that I cannot have multiroom unless I want a big drop in broadband speed ?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

Your master should have the external line coming into terminals A & B and extensions should then connect to the faceplate of the master (assuming you have an NTE5). Extensions should not be connected to the external line
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

The extension wiring acts like an aerial picking up interference, this causes noise on the ADSL line and the speed has to be reduced to compensate. If you have an NTE5 socket, use a filtered faceplate and you will not have this problem.
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am trying to get my head around this.

At the moment, behind my faceplate, I have a load of loose wires coming in from outside not plugged into anything and also, the wires from the extension socket not plugged into anything. With this set up I am getting around 4.5meg in speed. Is this ok that the wires from outside are just loose ? Obviously, there are about 12 wires loose behind the faceplate.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Your master should have the external line coming into terminals A & B and extensions should then connect to the faceplate of the master (assuming you have an NTE5). Extensions should not be connected to the external line
      But behind the faceplate I have 1 to 6 terminals ? It is only behind the extension socket that I have A and B. Those two wires run downstairs to the main socket and are loose behind the faceplate ? I was assuming that I had to connect these up to make the extension one work ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is quite common to have several 'spare' wires behind the socket. Most installations are done using twisted core cable which can have anything from 4 wires upwards. As long as the incoming pair is connected to the A-B terminals if you have an NTE5, or to the 2 and 5 terminals on the faceplate if you have the older type. Do you have an NTE5 as shown in the link? If not you should fit one.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is quite common to have several 'spare' wires behind the socket. Most installations are done using twisted core cable which can have anything from 4 wires upwards. As long as the incoming pair is connected to the A-B terminals if you have an NTE5, or to the 2 and 5 terminals on the faceplate if you have the older type. Do you have an NTE5 as shown in the link? If not you should fit one.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket
      One like this ::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

I probably did not ask the question properly - I have 6 wires coming in from inside on the left that are loose. In addition, I have another 6 wires on the right coming in from the extension socket.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

So, at the moment the A & B wires on the REAR of the NTE5 are connected & the master works OK, when you connect the extension wiring to 2,3 & 5 on the lower FRONT faceplate your speed halves? If the extension for upstairs is for a Sky box then you do not need the ADSL signal up there (this is where the problem is coming from). Fit one of these to your NTE5, look at the extension socket upstairs & note down what is going to terminals 2,3 & 5, replicate this on the new ADSL faceplate. Your speed will not change as the ADSL signal is still only present at the master socket.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

George Looney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NE/W
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

If you have 6 spare wires coming in it's your fed by 4 pair UG cable, white and blue (pair 1 it could be white orange if an older colur code) should be connected to a&b on the NTE5. These are only used if you require a 2nd, 3rd 4th line in the premises (which is less common now in the days of voip).

On the face plate you only really need 2&5 connected 3 is the bellwire and is what used to make phones on extensions ring. Nowadays most phone have there own ringer, if not the capacitor in the ADSL filter would make the phone ring.

What do you have connected upstairs, are you putting a micro filter onto the piece of equipment upsairs? Unless you have a dedicated faceplate you will need a filter on every in use telephone extension.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have chopped all the loose wires coming in from outside back, twisted them together and put them out of harms way . I have also chopped back the unused ones from the ext socket and done the same. Now my speed is virtually back up to where it was before which is good news. Thanks for the help.

My stats are now as follows :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4362 kbps 861 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 35 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 9 db

My understanding is that a filtered faceplate will merely tidy the wires and remove the need for a microfilter rather than affect my speed ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast