Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

This is a discussion on Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; think that sounds right, it should be: master>filter>(phone side) whatever you want/(modem side) cable to router, ideally as short as ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

think that sounds right, it should be:

master>filter>(phone side) whatever you want/(modem side) cable to router, ideally as short as possible
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

Running off of the main socket is a cable leading a second box on the landing.
      If it is an extension cable plugged into the filter, you will be OK. If it is hardwired into the socket, you will need a filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If it is an extension cable plugged into the filter, you will be OK. If it is hardwired into the socket, you will need a filter.
      Oh dear. My RJ11 to BT lead is not long enough to connect sky box to ext socket. Can I buy these in supermarkets does anyone know ?
      Last edited by JamieBee; 30-04-10 at 12:48 PM.

TTT
      TTT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi,
      Just solved a similar problem to the OP's so thought I would share the knowledge ( Knowledge is power after all )

Had the router connected to the master socket nothing else on the line.....connected the extension sockets to the master ( 4 extension sockets & with nothing plugged into them) & my Internet speed dropped by 1 meg.....checked the wiring then disconnected each extension face plate 1 at a time...result = no difference, as long as at least one extension socket was connected to the master the speed would drop by 1 meg.

Checked the wiring & noticed that only connections 2 & 5 were installed.....connected connection 3 & then the Internet speed speed came back to normal ...connected all of the extensions back to the line & the speed stayed the same.

So make sure that you connect wire 3 when running extensions, as in my case it makes a lot of difference!

Cheers.

eddie555 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: bt
      Router: DGND3700
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi all, have been reading this thread and thought I`d throw my penny`s worth in.
      My master socket is a very old BT thing no NTE5 etc, and I get 6 mbps with 3
      extensions plugged in. The mistake most people seem to be making is putting
      the micro filter at the end of each extension, I put a three way splitter into my main
      socket and then three micro filters into that then ran the extensions, no drop in
      speed, the extensions are filter so don`t add noise to the line. that`s how I got
      over my problem with extension.

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
      Hi,
      Just solved a similar problem to the OP's so thought I would share the knowledge ( Knowledge is power after all )

Had the router connected to the master socket nothing else on the line.....connected the extension sockets to the master ( 4 extension sockets & with nothing plugged into them) & my Internet speed dropped by 1 meg.....checked the wiring then disconnected each extension face plate 1 at a time...result = no difference, as long as at least one extension socket was connected to the master the speed would drop by 1 meg.

Checked the wiring & noticed that only connections 2 & 5 were installed.....connected connection 3 & then the Internet speed speed came back to normal ...connected all of the extensions back to the line & the speed stayed the same.

So make sure that you connect wire 3 when running extensions, as in my case it makes a lot of difference!

Cheers.
      I thought no 3 was the bellwire which is not needed ? Mine seems to work with just 2 and 5 connected.

However, I have now plugged a BT to RJ11 lead into my upstairs socket and the broadband stops altogether. When I plug a filter into the socket with the lead into that it is ok. I thought as I was only using a phone lead upstairs a filter is not needed ?

With the upstairs box 'in use' the connection seems a tiny bit slower and possibly not as 'stable' ? Websites are now taking longer to load. Any reason why this would happen ? Could a filtered faceplate help here ?

TTT
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Yes you are correct wire 3 is the bell wire & the general advice is to disconnect it, however in my case with it disconnected my broadband speed dropped by approx 1mb.
      My master socket is the new type Open Reach NTE5.

Had my new HD box installed yesterday & it's plugged into the phone line. Initially my broadband speed stayed the same but today it was right down to under 1mb unplugging the skybox from the telephone point restored my normal broadband speed, so it was definitaly the sky box causing the drop in speed.
      Then I realise there was no filter in the line so put a filter in & the normal speed returned with the sky box plugged in

Just goes to show the importance of having a filters in the correct place!

Cheers.

Thanks

TTT

If only the Sky engineers realised filters are needed, eh?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

TTT
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Aye, I would think the engineers should fit them.
      Just as well I realised or I could have spent hours on the phone to sky trying to sort it.

Thanks

Would've been 5 mins on the phone, T1 will ask about filters on sockets...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast