Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

This is a discussion on Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just to recap - I have now fixed my wiring issues and speed is unaffected by having an extension socket ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

Just to recap - I have now fixed my wiring issues and speed is unaffected by having an extension socket connected to the main one.

I still need a microfilter upstairs irrespective of whether I use a filtered faceplate downstairs ?

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

Quote Originally Posted by George Looney View Post
      It's unlikely but not impossible, one of the spares could have a fault condition (battery, earth or even be live) and if in contact with his working pair could cause problems. TBH it's pretty rare but It has happened.
      Which is what i said

"Chopping spare pairs back should not make any difference unless they were touching the pair in use. "
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      Just to recap - I have now fixed my wiring issues and speed is unaffected by having an extension socket connected to the main one.

I still need a microfilter upstairs irrespective of whether I use a filtered faceplate downstairs ?
      If th extension is for telephone only & wired back to the faceplate then you do not need a filter. If the extension is where the modem/router is the you will still need a filter to allow connection (unless you have an RJ11 to BT male lead to connect the router).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      If th extension is for telephone only & wired back to the faceplate then you do not need a filter. If the extension is where the modem/router is the you will still need a filter to allow connection (unless you have an RJ11 to BT male lead to connect the router).
      Extension socket only had sky box plugged into it. Master socket has the router plugged into it. Thanks - I will need to get a BT plug I think so that the sky box lead will fit the socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry i do not follow, if the extension socket is a standard BT socket then the sky box will plug straight in.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Sorry i do not follow, if the extension socket is a standard BT socket then the sky box will plug straight in.
      I have an RJ11 at both ends cable hooked up to the sky box at the moment. I will have to have a rake around in the loft for an RJ11/BT Plug one - good point.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The sky box should come with an RJ11 to BT converter if that lead has been shipped? How did you connect it before as if all you have done is fit a filtered faceplate it should all be the same? If you were plugging it in via a filter then the Sky box would not have been filtered unless you had a filter upstream of that connection! If the extension is BT like i linked to above and this box is wired to the FILTERED connections on the faceplate then you could plug a second ADSL filter into the extension and use the RJ11>RJ11 lead, kinda defeats one of the objectives of centralised filtering though! (neatness).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did have wired broadband upstairs at one point via a modem so that may be lead that is there at the moment. I need to lift the carpets up and put an RJ11 to BT plug wire down there which I am sure I will have in the loft. As you say, one would have been provided with a sky or sky+ box and then no need for a microfilter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As you say, one would have been provided with a sky or sky+ box and then no need for a microfilter.
      There is always need for a filter. What is sometimes provided with the Sky digibox is a splitter, not a filter. You must plug this splitter onto a filter. Everything connected to the phone line must run through a filter, be this individual plug in filters or a socket faceplate filter.

If you are using a cable with an RJ11 cable at both ends to connect a digibox and plugging this into a filter, the box is not being filtered. Only the phone side of a filter is actually filtered, the other side, with the RJ11 port, connects direct to the phone line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is always need for a filter. What is sometimes provided with the Sky digibox is a splitter, not a filter. You must plug this splitter onto a filter. Everything connected to the phone line must run through a filter, be this individual plug in filters or a socket faceplate filter.

If you are using a cable with an RJ11 cable at both ends to connect a digibox and plugging this into a filter, the box is not being filtered. Only the phone side of a filter is actually filtered, the other side, with the RJ11 port, connects direct to the phone line.
      My set up is as follows :

Main tel socket downstairs > microfilter > cable to router and extension lead > splitter > sky box and telephone.
      Running off of the main socket is a cable leading a second box on the landing. This will be connected to upstairs sky box and there is no router/modem upstairs I thought a BT plug to RJ11 lead would suffice from socket to box ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast