Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

This is a discussion on Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Chopping spare pairs back should not make any difference unless they were touching the pair in use. The faceplate WILL ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

Chopping spare pairs back should not make any difference unless they were touching the pair in use. The faceplate WILL affect speed IF you have extensions in the house as it isolates extensions from the ADSL signal. It can NOT however improve on what you get via the test socket. Chopping spare pairs back is always a bad idea-those spare pairs can come in handy!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Why does my speed halve when I connect an extension socket to master socket ?

If you have extensions a filtered faceplate will isolate your internal wiring, provided you plug into it. This cuts out interference and will improve your speed and stability.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Chopping spare pairs back should not make any difference unless they were touching the pair in use. The faceplate WILL affect speed IF you have extensions in the house as it isolates extensions from the ADSL signal. It can NOT however improve on what you get via the test socket. Chopping spare pairs back is always a bad idea-those spare pairs can come in handy!
      It looks the mass of wires behind the faceplate were interfering with the 2 in use then. If I am only ever going to need the 2 and 5 cables it does not matter how long the others are does it ?

I will look into buying a filtered faceplate shortly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      It looks the mass of wires behind the faceplate were interfering with the 2 in use then. If I am only ever going to need the 2 and 5 cables it does not matter how long the others are does it ?

I will look into buying a filtered faceplate shortly.
      Not at the moment no, but if a pair fails you then have no spares to fall back on. EVERY house in the UK has spare pairs not in use (minimum pair count is two so ALWAYS a spare paid from BT unless very OLD twin cable in use), if they aren't connected they can make no difference.

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not at the moment no, but if a pair fails you then have no spares to fall back on. EVERY house in the UK has spare pairs not in use (minimum pair count is two so ALWAYS a spare paid from BT unless very OLD twin cable in use), if they aren't connected they can make no difference.
      But are they not all different colours for a reason ? Surely it is only the blue/white and white/blue ones that I need ? All of the other colours are not needed so how would I use them for spare ?

George Looney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NE/W
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Don't want to disagree with you but, what about houses served by 2 pair cable which have a BT66 to distribute one to each side. Many houses are fed by one pair armoured cable, also forgot it's correct BT name but their is a high poundage dropwire which is only 1 pair.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George Looney View Post
      Don't want to disagree with you but, what about houses served by 2 pair cable which have a BT66 to distribute one to each side. Many houses are fed by one pair armoured cable, also forgot it's correct BT name but their is a high poundage dropwire which is only 1 pair.
      I can't say i've ever come across that setup, would you say it is the majority? Armoured would be underground?

Thanks

I can't say i've ever come across that setup, would you say it is the majority? Armoured would be underground?
      Armoured cable is cable that is usually dropped direct in the ground (no duct) some estates are completley served by this, these estates tend to have alot of faults. It's mainly usef these days for rural runs or over farmer fields where duct and aerial cable can't be user or aren't viable.

Many houses in the patch I work are only provisioned on 1 pair.

It's not the majority but then it's not uncommon

Exchange:
      Thanks

The point i was (badly!) trying to make was the OP's problem should not be caused by unused spare pairs

Thanks

The point i was (badly!) trying to make was the OP's problem should not be caused by unused spare pairs
      It's unlikely but not impossible, one of the spares could have a fault condition (battery, earth or even be live) and if in contact with his working pair could cause problems. TBH it's pretty rare but It has happened.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast