Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Master Socket

This is a discussion on Master Socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya All, Hope I'm in the correct place as new to the forum. Any way am wondering if you can ...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Master Socket

Hiya All,
      Hope I'm in the correct place as new to the forum. Any way am wondering if you can help me with my BT master socket?. I moved in here some 10yrs ago and have had Internet for a while and know Broadband. My master socket used to have 2 lines in but 1 was cut off. So today I took the cover off and found the inside looked like this (Attachment I hope). Can any1 tell me please should I change this for a newer socket
      many thanks
      Paul
      Sorry these are my current Stats
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Master Socket-ms1.jpg   Master Socket-stats.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Master Socket

Do you have any extensions? It is not clear from your picture.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No sorry about piccy, Only found out that the cable from the other line was still there when cover was removed, my router is next to this socket, just wondering as it was for 2 lines and now i only have 1 line that it may be affecting my BB
      Paul

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You only really need pins 2 and 5 connected. One of the sockets looks like it has an orange wire connected. If this is the one your router plugs into, you could (and only if competent) remove that by gently pulling out, as long as it is not in 2 and 5

It may or may not help.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thank you both for your help, I just had my Grandson remove all the wire's except those in 2 & 5 and it's all still working.( Am Disabled so I can't do it). Thank you very for your help. Am thinking now of asking Sky to turn my speed up again, Think thats a good move???
      cheers
      Paul

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Post a new set of stats now the wires are gone, Sky will only increase your speed if it can be done in a stable way.

Thanks

My new stats a small increase in speed. Thats the thing tho until last weekend I've been sitting on D/L speed of 256kbps as was told due to the line length I would not be able to get any faster, then my son called in and he lives a lot further from the same exchange and he had a lot faster speed (3.2mbps). So i rang them and was told that as I'm 6461 meters away no go, Told them I'm only 4461 meters away not 6, they said they would increase it but it may not be stable. Since Saturday when they turned me up to 1300Kbps it has been stable no drop outs (Which I was having at 256kbps) with a little change at times.
      cheers
      paul
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Master Socket-stats2.jpg  

Thanks

You are correct in saying you are about 4.4k from the exchange your attenuation bears this out. There is something wrong as you should get 3-4Mb, maybe even 5 Mb with a good line. There may be a fault on your line, which if it does not show on the voice side will be difficult to get fixed.

What I would do is phone Sky and ask them to put your line on G.DMT, which is basically ADSL1. The mode you are on at the moment is very unforgiving of noisy lines and so performs badly. You would have to convince Tier 1 to pass you to the Customer Solutions Team where the agents are more likely to understand the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

thank you isitme,
      I know I have to get pass Tier 1 like I did last time cos they just flat out told me that was the max speed I could get cos BT records say I'm 6000+meters away. Got passed them in the end and got my speed up ( 1st time ever i can watch sky player on my PC). Sorry what is this G.DMT and please how do you know that I'm not on it?
      many thanks
      Paul
      PS
      For about the last 3 weeks or so my phone has become very crackly but I put this down to BT doing work on my Exchange. may be it's not then .mmmmmmmm

Thanks

For about the last 3 weeks or so my phone has become very crackly
      If the phone is noisy when the router is disconnected, then report it to your phone rental provider. If it is only noisy when the router is on, it is probably a filter problem. Try using another filter.

You may well be on G.DMT, but it is always better to ask. The difference is that ADSL2+ works on higher frequencies than ADSL1 and if there is interference in these higher frequencies, it will not perform well.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast