Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

problems after trying to remove bell wire

This is a discussion on problems after trying to remove bell wire within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, after reading post on this forum I tried to remove the bell wire going out from master socket to ...

dh1raj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kenton road
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

problems after trying to remove bell wire

Hi, after reading post on this forum I tried to remove the bell wire going out from master socket to extension, unfortunately I could not get the broadband connection working at extension socket, so I thought I blue/blue white wire might have dropped out of master socket. I put back the wiring to how it was originally was and still could not get the connection back. I then tried connecting router into master socket but still no luck

Thinking it might take while for connection to be reinstated, I left it on overnight but still there is no adsl light on the router. Please could anybody help with any advice?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: problems after trying to remove bell wire

Do you have a dial tone at the extension?

Open the extension faceplate and check what coloured wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals. Go back to your master socket remove the face plate and check the the same coloured wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals there.

If you have a test socket, link below, plug your router into it and see if you have a connection.

In almost all cases, you will get a better result from the master socket than an extension.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dh1raj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kenton road
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for your reply..

yes there is dial tone at extension. I do have a test socket so even though I have dial tone, I thought I'd check at test socket but no connection there either..

serves me right for fiddling for better speed, now I have nothing, if it any broke dont fix it comes to mind..

if there was a good signal, how long would it take for this show on the router lights ? i thought it would show soon after being plugged in but now I'm not so sure, is there something else I'm not taking into account?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

does the extension still have dial tone with the test socket exposed? if so, there's your issue
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Check the main BT line coming in, it should be connected to the very rear of the faceplate to the a&b terminals, the only wires to the front removable faceplate are to the extension.

If it has been wired incorrectly then you should rewire the main line directly to the very rear a&b terminals, it doesn't matter which way around these go,once done, you should have a dial tone at the test socket.

Thanks

Have a look at this article, it may give you an idea what to do.
      Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I thought I'd check at test socket but no connection there either..
      This sometimes happens, especially with old sockets that have not ben disturbed before. Sometimes deposits build up in the socket and whan you put another plug in, the deposits stop it making a clean connection.

The only other thing that will stop the connection is if it is not really the master socket and the incoming wires have been connected to the faceplate. Check back along the cable to see if it goes to the line coming into your house. If it is the master it should have at least 2 cables going in/out.

TomD

Useful Utilites

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

i wanted to remove my ring wire also, as my SNR is completely messed up, in the day its between 4 - 8db, at night its 0 - 4db, i think its the ring wire!! i want to remove it, but im scared i will mess it up, also the way my extension is wired, shows differant, terminal 1 isnt connected, terminal 2 is, 3 is 4 is and 5 is, i dont even know which is the ring wire, as terminal 3 isnt an orange wire!! its differant......... can somebody please help me?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

terminal 3 is the ring wire - normally orange but it can be whatever is plugged in. so long as 2 and 5 are plugged in then it should be fine...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

The important terminals are 2 and 5, the wires can be removed from all the others. Don't take too much notice of the wiring colours, the main wires are usually blue/white and white /blue and the bell wire orange, but if they have been done by a diyer, they could be any colour.

A bell wire will not usually cause fluctuating noise margin, it is more likely to cause permanent interference which will cause the noise margin to be lower than it should be.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast