Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Issue with my master socket

This is a discussion on Issue with my master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been reading up all day while at work about our incredibly poor connect broadband. And besides the issue with them ...

snownrock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gowerton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Issue with my master socket

Been reading up all day while at work about our incredibly poor connect broadband. And besides the issue with them managing the traffic (i will be leaving to talk talk, being as they are the only local LLU service) i have been reading the threads regarding master sockets and filtering faceplates.

I opened up the master socket beneath the stairs when i got home and found this:

You can see the BT incoming line on the right, and our extension to the living room on the left. The master socket puzzled me as it doesnt look like any i have seen on here today, on ones i have seen the faceplate is wired into the master socket, our faceplate seems to plug into the test socket. I presume that the wires that are visible in the socket are wired directly into the extension:

Our extension socket is about 10m away in the living room and looks like this:

I have no idea how long this has been like this but it has been like this since before we moved in 20 months ago. We have had constant problems with a poor voice line since we moved in, involving many Opeanreach call outs. Our internet has always been around 2-4mb but since the start of December it has been sometimes slower than dial up. I thought this was due to the poor voice line, but last week BT replaced the line into the house and the voice is now fine. So its obvioussly Sky filtering our traffic... but anyway.

Does the wiring situation shown above look normal? Would i be able to wire in one of the ADSL nation faceplates into my master socket? Any help would be appreciated

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Issue with my master socket

Thats not wired correctly. The extension should be wired to the front plate youve removed ( on the floor in pic 1 ) If you could remove the rest of the socket to show how the incoming wire has been connected and the extension we could advise further.

Thanks

Cheers, will do that tomorrow evening, thanks for the help

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Remove the extension wires from the rear terminals (a&b) and connect them to 2 & 5 on the faceplate, test the other socket, then remove the feceplate on the extension and put the same colour wires into it's 2 & 5 terminals.

When you have finishd it should be, the main BT cable coming in to the a&b terminals on the master (at the very back) two wires connected to terminals 2 & 5 in the master and then the same colour wires connected to the 2&5 termionals in the extension socket.

Post your router stats (get them before you do the work and after so we can get a comparison).

The leave Sky Connect s quick as you can.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hold on a minute, you have two NTE5's there, there is no need to connect the "extension" to the front of the first NTE5 as it is acting as nothing more than a junction box(should really be a BT80A or if you have lots of drop outs consider a BT 80B RF3). The second NTE5 is your master i think, you don't have any other phone sockets in the house? If you can take the middle plate off both NTE5's and post pictures that would help. Do you plug a phone into the first socket? Do you plug your modem/router into the second socket?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Nothing is plugged into the 'master' in the hallway, the extension cable from that runs around my dining room and into the living room (ive traced it just to be sure). In the living room i have the sky router and DECT cordless base station connected. I havent found any other phone sockets in the house.

I will open the covers of the sockets and take some photos this evening so you can give me some better advice, thanks to you all so far.

After discovering the managing bandwith issue i tested the line at 6 when i got up this morning, 4.5mbps oppposed to 300kbps we were getting at 4.30pm yesterday. Fair to say i got my MAC code this morning (what a palaver), will be switching to TalkTalk as they have the only LLU connection on our exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, don't switch any wires around just yet as the pictures will reveal all!! But if the 1st socket is just a junction then switching wires will not help.

Thanks

Hello all, again thanks for the help. As requested i have further opened up the two sockets without touching any wires. Here are the pictures, let me know what i can do if anything?

'Master' hallway socket:

Connections on 'Master' hallway socket

'Extension' Living room socket

Connections on 'Extension' living room socket

Any advice guys? Any reason to explain my poor stats? I posted the following in another thread and one person commented that with my attenuation i should be getting higher speeds, so they think there is a wiring fault somewhere:

Would the pictures above correspond with the fact that there is a wiring problem somewhere? Also i bought one of the ADSLNation faceplates yesterday, would this actually be any use to me?

Exchange:
      Thanks

You have a split pair, you want white/blue blue or orange/white orange as the wiring from socket 1 to 2. The faceplate will only improve things if you have extensions wiring off it.

Thanks

Sorry in laymans terms, i have no clue what im doing with this sort of thing, software yes, wiring no. Is it a case of swapping the wires at each terminal or do i need to re-wire between the sockets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast