Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installing New Telephone Cabling

This is a discussion on Installing New Telephone Cabling within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so I have a flat which is all wired up with the telephone system with each extension piggy backed ...

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Installing New Telephone Cabling

Ok so I have a flat which is all wired up with the telephone system with each extension piggy backed onto the previous until it reaches the master socket. Now what I would like to do with this is to pull new cable through the wall using the existing cable to pull it with so that I can give each extension a seperate feed to the master socket and therefore can fit a filtered XTE-2005 to the master socket and still have the router running off one of the extensions (It is not viable to run the router from the master socket as this is located in the hallway).
      Can anyone provide some information on the best/most efficient way of pulling the new cable through?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Installing New Telephone Cabling

If you fit a filtered faceplate, you must either have the router directly into it or run an ADSL only socket from it. none of the other sockets will work for ADSL when the filtered faceplate is fitted.

If you get an 8 core cable, you could just pull it through and use a different pair of colours for each socket and just run the one long cable. Jusr remember to loop at the back of each socket to give enough slack to connect the pair to the socket and be careful not to cut any of the cables whey you remove the outer insulation.

If you do it this way, you could still use one specific soaket for ADSL only, you would just need to remember to connect that socket to the a&b terminals at the rear of the filtered faceplate.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

There is an easy way to do this, you need 3 pair telephone cable and connect all your extensions as they are now, but ensure that the green pair of the cable connect to 1 and 6 of all the extension sockets.
      At the filter faceplate, connect the cable to 2, 3, and 5 as normal for the filtered voice extensions and the green pair to A and B of the filter.
      Now nomal phones will work at each extension and you will need a non-standard cable to pick up the adsl signal at any extension socket. You will prob not be able to buy such a cable, but if you PM me I'll make you one.

Thanks

The problem is that the cable presently installed is 4 wire cable i cant do any pair thing with the current cabling installed. Thank you both for the suggestions of how to wire it up with a single cable. I do need some suggestions also still as to how to pull the new cable through without making holes in walls. The present one appears to be going up and across the ceiling from the way it is angled in one of the present extensions and i'm not sure how much force it is safe to use on it without breaking it.

Thanks

There isn't really any advice as it depends on how the old cable has been run.
      As a general rule, get some nylon string and use the old cable to pull this through, then use this to pull through the new cables, but there is no guarantee it will work if the old cable takes odd route.

If your phones will work without the ring line (a lot will) then you could still do this with 2 pair cable, using the blue pair on 2 and 5 and the orange pair on 1 and 6.
      Last edited by Brian69; 26-01-10 at 01:18 AM.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How many extensions have you got? Do you actually plug anything into the master socket at present? How far down the current daisy chain do you plan to plug the router in? Is the current cable twisted pair?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

It is the second extension on the daisy chain that the router is plugged into and nothing is connected to the master socket. The wiring installed does not appear to be twisted pair just a simple 4 core cable (green, orange, blue, brown). I am actually apalled that they didnt install Cat5E cable as this flat was only recently built.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok, you can either go ahead with the plan of replacing the existing cable but before you do i'd suggest comparing stats in the test socket to see if there is anything to be gained. As the desired location is the second extension(do you mean socket number 3 in total?) then it may make more sense to move the master socket(as nothing is plugged in there at present).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

That cable with those colours is the type now use when the installation is carried out by the builder, (they shoud connect blue=2, brown=3 green=4 0range=5

So if you want to try and see how using this cable would work, then blue=2 orange=5 brown=1 and green=6

At the faceplate connect blue =2 orange=5 brown= B and green=A

At this point you need a non-standard lead to connect the router to the desired extension, as I said I'll make one if you want.

Thanks

I'll give it a try although i have a suspicion that with it not being twisted pair it'll introduce interference which wont help the adsl at all. I can get around the problem of needing a non-standard lead by simply connecting the brown and green to 2 and 5 on the socket wanted for ADSL and using a terminal block on the blue and orange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast