Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Newbie question

This is a discussion on Newbie question within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am a long time lurker recent joiner to the forum. I have searched for an answer on here ...

stormy78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Newbie question

Hi, I am a long time lurker recent joiner to the forum.

I have searched for an answer on here but not found it, It may be there and I am being blind but I need some advice please.

My Phone line comes into the house into a white box with the split across the middle ( Old BT logo in the corner, not the piper) as described in a lot of the threads. However the faceplate does not have a RJ-11 socket. If I remove the lower half it reveals a test socket. From this white box I have 2 other phone line 1 about 7 feet away in the same room and one about 10 feet away upstairs. I am presuming that the white box with the test socket is my Master socket.

If I plug my broadband into either extension with filters I am getting 2.5mb (I am on the mid level package from Sky) however if I remove the faceplate and plug the router into the test socket in the white box I am getting over 6mb. As you can see its a drastic drop in speed.

So my questions are:

1) Is the white box my master socket? If so do I need to get BT out to change the white box for a NTE5 box so I can plug my router in there without having to remove the faceplate?
      2) If its not my master socket I would presume that the socket downstairs is, would this need to be changed to a NTE5 box?

Any help would be appreciated !

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by stormy78 View Post
      1) Is the white box my master socket? If so do I need to get BT out to change the white box for a NTE5 box so I can plug my router in there without having to remove the faceplate?
      2) If its not my master socket I would presume that the socket downstairs is, would this need to be changed to a NTE5 box?

Any help would be appreciated !
      (1) You have the older type NTE5, If you plan to plug your router in there then fit one of these ADSL faceplates..

You would find if you fitted the new type NTE5 then the speed if plugging the router into one of the extensions should be pretty much the same as the test socket. (but if you plan to plug the router into the master anyway just fit the ADSL faceplate).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

stormy78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Excellent thank you for the fast reply. Looking at it I think a face plate will be the easiest way forward as opposed to replace the unit.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Both are very easy jobs TBH, but i personally would go the faceplate route as you can then do away with plug in filters around the house. If you really wanted to have the router elsewhere then you would use one of these kits :-

ADSL Extension Kit

Again as far as speed is concerned you should see minimal(if any) difference from the test socket if using one of those kits & any other extensions are correctly terminated to the filtered connections on the faceplate.

However, if it is convenient to plug the router into the master socket then just do that!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.