Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Test / Master Socket HELP PLEASE!

This is a discussion on Test / Master Socket HELP PLEASE! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, to get the best result you need to seperate any extensions that are for phones & the one that ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Test / Master Socket HELP PLEASE!

Ok, to get the best result you need to seperate any extensions that are for phones & the one that will go to your modem/router. You then fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket(needs to be an NTE5 type). Any extensions for phones wire to the FILTERED connections on the faceplate, there is then no need for plug in filters on those extensions. The extension for the modem/router wires to the UNFILTERED connections on the faceplate. If the extension is just going to be for the modem/router then you can use one of these kits, if you need a telephone point on this extension as well then you can either leave it as is & use a plug in filter OR use one of these sockets. So long as it is all wired how it should be & the cable that goes from the faceplate to the modem/router is good quality you should see hardly any difference from the test socket results.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      puppy8910club is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

To ask another dumb question

Can i fit one of those filters plates to "any extensioN" and recieve the speed increase or does this HAVE to be fitted to my "master socket".

ADSL Nation LTD.

Will do as you suggest, just wondering if i can upgrade my extension socket with a filter plate and see the increase from 8 - 13mb?

Im easily confused

thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, the faceplate must be fitted to the master socket where the BT pair enters the building.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just thought i would let you know i have fitted the faceplate as linked by runitdirect (ordered from there) and after some fiddling around i have now gone from 7mb to 14mb.

After fitting the plate my speed wasd the same but sky reconfigured my line after asking them to and its now gone up to 14mb so im a happy bunny.

2 things i would say . 1) the plastic IDC tool was useless (perhaps user error but was no good to man nor beast.... A flat headed screwdriver was my best friend.

2) The ring wire - For some reason I was unable to plug in my telephone to the extension socket when this was removed. Again im a complete newbie so i may have got this wrong but main thing is my internet is now 14mb

Thanks RunITdirect & other user's for help

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puppy8910club View Post
      After fitting the plate my speed wasd the same but sky reconfigured my line after asking them to and its now gone up to 14mb so im a happy bunny.

2 things i would say . 1) the plastic IDC tool was useless (perhaps user error but was no good to man nor beast.... A flat headed screwdriver was my best friend.

2) The ring wire - For some reason I was unable to plug in my telephone to the extension socket when this was removed. Again im a complete newbie so i may have got this wrong but main thing is my internet is now 14mb

Thanks RunITdirect & other user's for help
      (1) Sure you were using it the correct way around? (!), we have a guide here.
      (2) Can you elaboarte on this? The ring wire should not affect functionality of the phone, some older phones will not ring with it removed but that is normal, you don't need to remove the ring wire with a filtered faceplate anyway.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

A flat headed screwdriver was my best friend.
      It can also be your worst enemy, spreading the connectors and making the faceplate useless. The edge of a thin credit card if a safer substitute.

You should consider using a Homeplug network instead of wireless. It is faster and more stable. Many on the forum have used them with great satisfaction.

HomePlug AV | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk
      This is just as an example, they can be obtained cheaper elsewhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      (1) Sure you were using it the correct way around? (!), we have a guide here.
      (2) Can you elaboarte on this? The ring wire should not affect functionality of the phone, some older phones will not ring with it removed but that is normal, you don't need to remove the ring wire with a filtered faceplate anyway.

1) Could well have been a user error ........ lost patience but it was such an easy job to do.

2) Looks like when i put the socket back one of the wires came loose, - the phone now works on the extension socket so all is good

Thank you.

P.S - Im now going to hardwire from my router downstairs outside, to the loft, down to office . Just bought external cat6 ethernet cable, so will get the drill out at weekend .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12