Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Pricing Policy

This is a discussion on BT Pricing Policy within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a line fault, when it rains my Telephone line is noisy and Broadband disconects. However when it is ...

JimL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashington Northumberland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

BT Pricing Policy

I have a line fault, when it rains my Telephone line is noisy and Broadband disconects. However when it is dry my connection is ok.

As luck would have it a BT engineer was working at the bottom of my street, i informed him of my problem and that my drop cable is 35 years old. I was informed that the cable would be split due to age and allowing water to create a fault.

Now for the bad news, BT has informed its staff that they are not making enough money on its repair jobs, so they have being instructed to charge for all repair jobs.

My only hope was to log my fault, stress it is intermittent, and hope that an older engineer is sent to the job, one who is not frightened of BT scare tactics, and would replace the cable for free due to its age.

The call out charge he quoted was 120 call out plus 60 per hour. This can not be fair as the line belongs to BT, i am now in two minds to report the fault or not.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT Pricing Policy

If it's a genuine external fault then you will not be charged for the repair, despite what the BT engineer told you. However, if an engineer comes out and can't find anything wrong with the external line then you could well be charged. The choice is yours.

I would call whoever is supplying your line at the moment and report the fault anyway as they'll run a line check and then you can decide whether to take it further.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: BT Pricing Policy

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
      Now for the bad news, BT has informed its staff that they are not making enough money on its repair jobs, so they have being instructed to charge for all repair jobs..
      If this is true i can't think why.........

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
      The call out charge he quoted was 120 call out plus 60 per hour. This can not be fair as the line belongs to BT, i am now in two minds to report the fault or not.
      Oh, that maybe why!! The line is BT's responsibility, ask them why you pay line rental if the line is your responsibility!! Just make sure the drop cable hasn't been tampered with, a common fault is no drip loop on the property entrance hole allowing water to follow the path of the cable and cause shorts when it's raining.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.