Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-routing cable again!

This is a discussion on Re-routing cable again! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, A while back i asked for help about moving my external telephone wire to be rerouted upstairs. I got ...

matthewprince is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Amstrad SkyHD
      Thanks

Re-routing cable again!

Hi,

A while back i asked for help about moving my external telephone wire to be rerouted upstairs. I got help and it worked perfectly.

What i need to do now is have a telephone point downstairs aswell as upstairs.

I have got an external waterproof box and was going to reroute the external cable to that box and put an internal faceplate in there. And then spur twice off that , one to go back up the wall to my bedroom and the other to go down the wall and across and come in the house under the window.

Does that sound sensible?

Also the cable i will be using is the white internal cable , but have been told that it will be fine outside on the wall as the wire is protected by the white plastic anyway?

Does that sound sensible?

Matt

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Re-routing cable again!

You can use internal phone wire outside, but it will not last as long as the external stuff becuase it doesn't have the UV protection etc. I would use external wire outside as it does not really cost anymore and will last alot longer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you mean you are going to break into the cable which at present is supplying your room. Put a socket there in a plastic enclosure and run a cable from there to your room and another to downstairs?

Would it not be simpler to spur of the socket in your room and run a cable down the outside to the downstairs position. Whichever way you do it, you should fit a filtered faceplate to what will become the master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Ive put below 2 diagrams , the first is how it is now and the other the planned way i wish to do it. I would prefer this way as i dont have wires coming in and out of the bedroom.

What is the best way to join them up in the external junction box out of the folllowing :

1. Put a bt master socket in there and have ther wiring done that way
      2. get them wiring blocks you can get and do it that way
      3. other way???

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You should not attempt to split the main BT line by using a junction box, this will create noise on the line. You should keep the master socket in the bedroom and run the cables from the rear of the filtered faceplate using terminals 2 & 5.

Re-routing cable again!-capture.jpg

Thanks

I have to agree with Smithy, but there is another way it can be done. The cable going into your bedroom will be multi-core. Find two wires that are not being used, connect these to the 2 and 5 terminals of the faceplate. Outside your room carefully split the cable to expose the wires and fix the two spare wires you found inside to a junction box.The main wires can go straight though without being cut. Now join your cable to the junctions you fitted the spare wires to and run it to your downstairs box. Job done.

Make sure your junction box is fully water-proofed and you should have no problems. Remember you need to fit a filtered faceplate to your bedroom socket, or your broadband will probably deteriorate.

If you have the old figure of 8 solid copper cable this will not work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Im sure I remember this one and it is old figure 8 cable

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Its the old figure 8 cable yeah.

Ok , ive had a change of heart. Im just going to have the master socket downstairs now and user the pc down there.

When i moved the line upstairs i cut off the excess , but means now its too short to reach the hole that goes into the house under the bottom window now.

How would i extend the cable on the outside of the house now without creating noise?

Matt

Thanks

Its the old figure 8 cable yeah.
      I thought you had changed this before.

Have a look up at the top where the line comes in, is there a junction box there? If there is, get a bit of external cable and connect there. If there is not, put one there, that is where BTO would normally have a junction. Make sure you use a BTO approved external junction box.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ive found the best way now. If i did put an extension down stairs i still couldnt use a computer downstairs via cable as i would need a router , so..........

Im going to run a 20m cable of RJ45 plugged into my router upstairs and then down the wall in to the front room and then to the pc. That way its all neat , no line degrading and yeah im gonna lose the phone line downstairs but i have a twin phone anyway and wouldnt need it.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast