Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extension socket wireing confusion

This is a discussion on Extension socket wireing confusion within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Earlier today I replaced the faceplate on the Master socket and noticed the Orange and Brown wire was ...

.Lethal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Extension socket wireing confusion

Hi all,

Earlier today I replaced the faceplate on the Master socket and noticed the Orange and Brown wire was the wrong way round.

After I swapped them around and fitted the faceplate I tested the internet and phone which both work fine - I assume I had fixed what may have been a potential concern.

I am now going through the 3 extensions in my apartment and having just removed 2 of the extended faceplates I was a bit suprised to find not 1 cable with the Blue, Brown and Orange (Green wasn't used on any extension or the Master socket) but there are in fact 2 cables with each cable having 2 blue, 2 brown and 2 orange.

I have 2 Blues fitted into 2, 2 Browns fitted into 5 and 2 Orange's fitted into 3.

Not only (again) is the Brown and Orange the wrong way around but each extension has all the wires connected.

Is this safe? Will there be any problems?

This all started because I was having terrible download speeds from the internet, on the Master socket I am able to get 2mb (I live very far away from the exchange). On the extensions I was only able to get 1.2mb so I have been going through them hoping re-wireing and replacing the faceplate will help.

Regarding the cables in the extensions, what are your thoughts?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Extension socket wireing confusion

It doesn't matter what colour the wires are, the important thing is that they match, ie, same colour from extension to master etc.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I believe you will have your extensions daisy chained and this is why there are two cables in all but one of the extensions.

MASTER SOCKET--> Extension --> Extenstion

The last extension will only have the one cable (from the last socket).

It will not matter if the extensions are wired with more wires than the master socket. All that is important is that the wire in 2 and 5 are the same in each socket. This will make it easier to trouble shoot.

If you want to make it neat take out the other wires and tape the top of them and roll them into the case.

I tend not to cut them in case I need to use them in the future, especially if the wires you are using in 2 and 5 fail. AS mentioned as long as the wire colours are the same in the extensions you can use any colour coding you like.

Remember if you are putting your extension on to the back of the master rocket filter they go on to the numbered side. This will mean all extensions will have ADSL filtered out. Therefore if you want an extension for ADSL you will need to run another extension but this time from the AB points on the back of the master filter.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

.Lethal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice, just to clarify then it is perfectly fine to have the two Blue wires both in number 2 etc as long as they all match the same color coordination as the Master socket?

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes as long as the same colour is on all the 2s etc then you will be fine.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.