Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Will a new Faceplate help?

This is a discussion on Will a new Faceplate help? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Newbie here so please be gentle Have just got my activation date for Sky Unlimited, so still with ...

mondeoman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mercury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Will a new Faceplate help?

Hi all,
      Newbie here so please be gentle
      Have just got my activation date for Sky Unlimited, so still with BT until Monday, but I have been reading the threads on here, very informative btw, and was wondering if one of the ADSL faceplates a few on here have recommended would be of use to me.
      My set up is a bit of a mess, let me try and explain.
      From the Master Socket I have a 3 way socket plugged in it and from there I have plugged an extension cable to run upstairs, from the back of the extension plug downstairs(the one in the 3 way) I have a filter, the filter is then plugged in to a double socket feeding the Sky box and the 'phone. (Still with me I hope)
      Upstairs, the socket on the end of the extension has a filter plugged in to it from which I have a cable to the PC and another extension cable feeding the Sky box in the bedroom(Multi-room).
      Have just run a speed test and got figures of D/L 6152 U/L 318, but I am wondering if with a new faceplate and the yet to be activated Sky BB, I could achieve something better ?
      Sorry if I haven't explained clearly enough, but, as I said, it is a bit of a tangle of wires and sockets

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Will a new Faceplate help?

Plug into the Test socket and take the stats from there. That will tell you how much your internal wiring is effecting your connection.

A filtered faceplate will only help if you plug the router into it or run a dedicated extension to your router position.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Plug into the Test socket and take the stats from there. That will tell you how much your internal wiring is effecting your connection.

A filtered faceplate will only help if you plug the router into it or run a dedicated extension to your router position.
      Thanks for the reply.
      Can't plug the router into the Test Socket as router is upstairs next to the PC, was thinking if I put my current extension into the faceplate and use it as previously described, could I eliminate the filter downstairs that is plugged into the BT socket feeding the Sky box and 'phone, also, could I still use the extension upstairs to run a cable to the Sky box upstairs, and would it still need a filter on it ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you bear this in mind you should not go wrong.
      1. Everything connected to the phone line must run through a filter.
      2. The router will only operate properly if it is running through one filter.
      3. Other items will work OK running through two filters.

You are really going to have to get the router connected direct to your master socket, as your present wiring iseffecting your connection badly. I notice that you are getting an upload of only 318kbps, this in itself indicates that your setup is bad. The upload for BT should be 448 and even the longest of lines achieve this, so your wiring is pulling it down. With Sky's ADSL2+ this is going to be even worse as this Mode amplifies an faults on the line.

If moving your PC downstairs is not an option, unplug the everything except one extension, from the test socket, through a filter to your PC. See what the figures are like. Use the link in the Quick links box on the left to see how to get your router stats.

What I would recommend is that you get a filtered faceplate and fit this to your Master socket. You now have two options. The first applies if the distance from the master socket to you upstairs router position is not much more than 10 m. That is buying a good quality RJ11 cable plugging it in to the ADSL port of the master socket filtered faceplate and running it upstairs to your router. You will get little if any drop in your connection speed. The second way is to place your router beside the master socket and use an RJ45 cable to connect to your PC. There will be no drop in your connection speed and the cable can be much longer, up to 100 m theoretically.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you bear this in mind you should not go wrong.
      1. Everything connected to the phone line must run through a filter.
      2. The router will only operate properly if it is running through one filter.
      3. Other items will work OK running through two filters.

You are really going to have to get the router connected direct to your master socket, as your present wiring iseffecting your connection badly. I notice that you are getting an upload of only 318kbps, this in itself indicates that your setup is bad. The upload for BT should be 448 and even the longest of lines achieve this, so your wiring is pulling it down. With Sky's ADSL2+ this is going to be even worse as this Mode amplifies an faults on the line.

If moving your PC downstairs is not an option, unplug the everything except one extension, from the test socket, through a filter to your PC. See what the figures are like. Use the link in the Quick links box on the left to see how to get your router stats.

What I would recommend is that you get a filtered faceplate and fit this to your Master socket. You now have two options. The first applies if the distance from the master socket to you upstairs router position is not much more than 10 m. That is buying a good quality RJ11 cable plugging it in to the ADSL port of the master socket filtered faceplate and running it upstairs to your router. You will get little if any drop in your connection speed. The second way is to place your router beside the master socket and use an RJ45 cable to connect to your PC. There will be no drop in your connection speed and the cable can be much longer, up to 100 m theoretically.
      The problem with either option, RJ11 or RJ45 cable is that I still need a 'phone extension cable running upstairs to feed the Sky box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mondeoman View Post
      The problem with either option, RJ11 or RJ45 cable is that I still need a 'phone extension cable running upstairs to feed the Sky box.
      Another quick couple of questions, if I fitted a filtered faceplate, would I still be able to fit a double socket into the 'phone side of it to feed the phone and skybox and would I still need a filter ? also, could I do the same on the ADSL side and feed an RJ11 cable upstairs to the router, and a 'phone extension for the upstairs Skybox, and would these need a filter.
      Sorry for all the questions.
      Thanks

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I would suggest the following as this is how I have set up my extensions.

Filtered face plate with following on back of it.
      AB* 1,2,3,4,5,#

*- This is for the router and you would run a cable from here (preferably a CAt 5E or CAt 6 to your router upstairs - this is only for the router, nothing else.

# This is your phone extentions line and you can either cut the plug off the cable and wire it up as per the instructions that will be sent with the master face plate or you can just connect your 3 extension lines into the front as you already do.

The important thing is that the AB connection is unfiltered for the router. It means that the voice line comes nowhere near it and that any interference stays on the voice side (the 1,2,3,4,5) side. This means that the dedicated router extension is clean.

If you need a new extension upstairs for the sky box then you need to run two cables. The AB cable for the router ONLY and another attached to the 1,2,3,4,5 part for the voice. AB will never need filter if you buy an ADSL extension socket. see adslnation website. If you connect to the voice part of the filterplate this will filter out at the master socket so no more filters will be needed.
      Last edited by newbuilder; 25-10-09 at 07:24 PM.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks

"Filtered face plate with following on back of it.
      AB* 1,2,3,4,5,#"
      Pardon my ignorance but what are the letters and numbers ?

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

A,B are two terminals on the back for the internet connection. These terminals are not filtered and so you connect two wires from the cable to them and then connect the same two coloured wires at the other side to an ADSL extension. you can buy a kit from ADSLnation that will include the cat5e cable and the extension.

The numbers are the same numbers on your existing face plate. Have a look now by removing the screws on the master socket and pulling the bottom of the plate off. I can't remember if they are numbered 1-4 or 1-5. you could normally connect the first cable from here to your first extension, say the kitchen and then connect tthe cable inthe kitchen to a bog standard telephone extension. You would then run a cable from the kitchen (doubling up the connection on the back of the socket) to the next room and keep going like this.

If you don't want the hassle of the telephone extension chain then you can simply plug them into the front.

The important thing here is the AB for internet connection stays clear of the voice wiring. So even if you voice wiring is shoddy then the internet will not be affected.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks

So, basically if I get what it is you are saying, I can use the filtered faceplate, into the adsl side I connect an RJ11 cable to feed the router only (no filters) into the phone side of the faceplate I can use a 3 way adapter plug to (1) run an extension upstairs for the Skybox (2) run a line to the 'phone (3) run a line to the downstairs Skybox, all without filters ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast