Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

thinking of re-wire

This is a discussion on thinking of re-wire within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I am currently on sky's 10mb package but am getting less than half that, so i am thinking ...

fangface is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worthing West
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thinking of re-wire

Hi All,
      I am currently on sky's 10mb package but am getting less than half that, so i am thinking of buying a new master socket and cable to replace the old oval shaped junction box and ancient wiring. There is only one active socket in the house but a couple of disconnected extensions. Am i right in thinking it's the low noise margin that's the problem? during the day it's around 13-15 but in the evening can drop as low as 2-3 although it never disconnects. I have tried re-booting the router at various times of the day but the connection speed never changes. Download speed is always about 3.5 mbits. Could it be that sky have capped my line at 4 Mbits?
      Thanks in advance
      Gary

Connection Speed 4092 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db 21 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 17 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: thinking of re-wire

Do you have a test socket, link below? If so plug in there and take your stats. Are your extensions disconnected at the master socket or at the extension sockets? If you don't have a Test socket disconnect the extensions at the Master socket also remove the wire from terminal 3, if it is not already disconnected. Your very low noise margin shows you are getting as much as your line can handle at the moment. It should be capable of 3 times what you have, provided your external line is in reasonable condition.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fangface View Post
      Hi All,
      I am currently on sky's 10mb package but am getting less than half that, so i am thinking of buying a new master socket and cable to replace the old oval shaped junction box and ancient wiring. There is only one active socket in the house but a couple of disconnected extensions. Am i right in thinking it's the low noise margin that's the problem? during the day it's around 13-15 but in the evening can drop as low as 2-3 although it never disconnects. I have tried re-booting the router at various times of the day but the connection speed never changes. Download speed is always about 3.5 mbits. Could it be that sky have capped my line at 4 Mbits?
      Thanks in advance
      Gary

Connection Speed 4092 kbps 606 kbps
      Noise Margin 5 db 17 db
      As isitme says make sure any wires on the faceplate connected to terminal 3 are not connected still.

Also is there any noise when on the phone example loud hiss, pops or crackles etc, anything like that you should report to who ever you paid the line rental to and report a noisy voice line.

And when connected to the test socket try the different microfilters you have to see if any of them are faulty which can also cause speed problems if one is not working correctly.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you have no extensions fitted(no active extensions-are they disconnected at the socket or the junction box?) then fitting a new master will make no difference. Could really do with some pictures-is the drop wire from BT twisted pair or the old figure of 8 stuff? How much internal wiring is there from BT's cable to your existing master?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I have now disconnected the extensions at the junction box where the line enters the house. The noise margin now doesn't drop below 12. I'm going to replace the old junction box with a filtered master socket so i can plug the router in where the cable comes into the house. Then phone sky and ask them to re-test the line.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

phoned sky and asked them to re test my line. now stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7387 kbps 606 kbps
      Noise Margin 8 db 19 db

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fangface View Post
      phoned sky and asked them to re test my line. now stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7387 kbps 606 kbps
      Noise Margin 8 db 19 db
      There seems to be alittle bit more there, it should get to 8Mb just about if you wanted it tweaked by sky.