Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Faceplate advice

This is a discussion on Faceplate advice within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; In your position I would do this. Replace the second junction box with an NTE5a linebox.(If the one in your ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Faceplate advice

In your position I would do this.
      Replace the second junction box with an NTE5a linebox.(If the one in your Hall is this type use it and use the standard extension socket in your room to replace it. You would need a new back box)
      Fit a filtered faceplate to the NTE5a linebox.
      Connect the wires going to the downstairs sockets to the 2 and 5 terminals of the facepate.
      Connect the wires going to your room to the A and B terminals of the faceplate.
      Fit a filtered faceplate to your room socket. One of these would be suitable - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation
      You can them dispense with the filters on your other sockets and would have broadband available from the NTE5a or from the socket in your room.
      You would need to buy the faceplate linked above, a XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation and one back box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Blue Lou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

neilmcl - I was thinking that should be my long-term plan. At the moment the phone cables are under floorboards under laminate flooring, when it comes up a shiny new cable will be put down.

Funnily enough we had a BT engineer come out and fix a problem with the line. The first junction box had become damaged and he rewired it (and charged quite a lot for doing it!). He also replaced the master socket with a newer style one.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6867/telephone008.jpg

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...faceplate.html

andy17 - Thanks, I have been looking at this one and reading the reviews on the site.

Isitme - Thanks, I'm having problems understanding your suggestion (the part in brackets threw me). The hall is a NTE5a linebox as far as I know (see above). Are you saying I should get rid of the second junction box and replace it with the NTE5a socket from downstairs (with a new ADSL faceplate fitted) and add a new socket with ADSL input to my bedroom? If so, why do I need to obtain a 'back box' (is that the same thing as a pattress)?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it
      Last edited by Blue Lou; 19-09-09 at 01:29 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If so, why do I need to obtain a 'back box' (is that the same thing as a pattress)?
      Yes, I didn't use the proper term as few would understand it. You would need one as you would be putting in an extra socket, the one replacing the second junction box. It would be easier to leave the existing hall box in-situ and using the new one to replace the existing junction box. If the junction is in a standard 85mm pattress, you would not need one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12