Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extension Phone will not ring

This is a discussion on Extension Phone will not ring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since fitting a filtered faceplate recently on my master socket, one of my telephones (I have two in total) no ...

windsor-tg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extension Phone will not ring

Since fitting a filtered faceplate recently on my master socket, one of my telephones (I have two in total) no longer rings. I get a dial tone on the phone and can happily make/receive calls.

I have two extension wires running off behind the faceplate (to each of the phones) and a separate cable (connected to A & B on the faceplate) running off to the router.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Extension Phone will not ring

Ensure that the wire to "3" on the filter faceplate connects to "3" on the extension socket. I suspect that you have disconnected the ring line at the extension and while you were using plug in filters this would not matter.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

The phone that doesn't ring, is it a really old phone?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You could also try plugging in through one of the filters, see if it rings. Brian's way is correct though. The ring wire is usually orange, but you can use any coloured wire as long as you connect it to terminal 3 at both ends.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

windsor-tg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The NT5 master socket was fitted by BT (since I was having problems with my broadband speed). The BT engineer took all the extension wires and has just used 2 wires (solid orange and blue wires) to connect to the faceplate filter. I cannot get to any of the extension wires behind the NT5 socket.

When I was having broadband speed issues, I disconnected the orange/white wire to "3" on the extension socket. I have not had a chance to do it yet but I am assuming reconnecting the orange/white wire will not make any difference.

The phone itself is a clock/radio/phone which works fine and it used to ring before I installed the faceplate filter.

If I use the plug-in filter on the extension (I will try this tonight), can this make the phone ring?

Thanks

The BT engineer took all the extension wires and has just used 2 wires (solid orange and blue wires)
      It looks like the wire colours have been mixed up. Normally the blue/white/blue wires would be used to connect extensions. Remove the faceplate on the extension which is not ringing. Check the colour of the wire connected to terminal 3 on the faceplate. Go back to the Master socket and connect the same coloured wire to terminal 3 on the faceplate. It should then ring. If there is no wire connected to terminal 3 on the extension, connect one of the spare wires then connect the other end of the same wire to the master.

It should ring using the filter, but it is better to do it properly.

Just noticed this
      " I cannot get to any of the extension wires behind the NT5 socket." The second plate is held in by 2 screws, remove these if you can't get the spare wires out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

They are the old wire colours, there should be a brown and a green as well, the right colour to use is brown, but green will work just as well so long as it is the same colour at both ends.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Whilst most phones these days don't need the ring wire, there are still some that do. I think the rule of thumb is that if the phone plugs into the mains then it doesn't need the ring wire, but if it only plugs into the phone socket then it does need the ring wire.

Thanks

Thats an interesting idea, but wrong. the only real way to tell is to remove the ring wire at the socket you use the phone at and see if it rings, as we all have BB then the plug in micro filters do the job of the ring line and it is often not untill a filter faceplate is used that phone needs a ring line. Oh how I used to love going round reconnecting the ring line from about a dozen extension sockets as the end user explaned that such and such a forum had advised it was not required,

Thanks

I think the rule of thumb is that if the phone plugs into the mains then it doesn't need the ring wire, but if it only plugs into the phone socket then it does need the ring wire
      As Brian says, not so, the one I have on my desk. a real cheap one I got free, it rings and it is just plugged into the socket. The other two which are cordless, so plugged into the mains, only ring when they are plugged in. When we have a powercut, which is quite often where I live, the cheapo one is the only one that rings.

Meant to add, I disconnected the ring wire before I got a filtered faceplate, haven't got round to putting it back.

TomD

Useful Utilites